Image S4 and S2

Professor Thump

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gang, your old buddy Michael here with another Klipsch review:

I had the opportunity for a short trial run with some S4's the other evening. I listened particularly to Billy Joel's 'New York State of Mind', an old favorite and one that was on the borrowed iPod (thanks Thump). When trying new products I rely on familiar tunes as do all Klipsch's listening panel. I also find that music that is more acoustic with simpler recording and production is easier to do comparisons with.

Billy's piano was natural with good frequency response and the vocals were killer. Bass through vocal range was dead on and darned if I didn't feel that little 'Klipsch mid-bass bump' - is that on purpose Professor? The sound wasn't quite as crisp as my Image headset but these are about one-fourth the price. It wasn't bothersome but I've spent a LOT of time under Image monitors and are very used to their sound. Very good response, price considered.

What really surprised me was the level of comfort. Sure you get the same patented oval gel ear-tips with the S4, but the wide 'chubby' body frightened me. Some with protruding ear conchas might not be able to wear these but I found them supremely comfortable, as much so as my Image. The body is so short, that even though it resides outside the ear canal, it feels very balanced, in other words it sure doesn't feel like it's tugging or trying to fall out like one might imagine. They are also very lightweight, nearly unnoticable when you get the correct ear tips fitted. I know my size so popped the large single flange on and they popped right in, felt secure and nearly invisible. It was like carrying a band around with me inside my head.

I'll try to spend some more time with them and write more later.

Michael

My boys Colter, Trey and I went to a cow bar recently and heard some really good sampled bongo's. (NOT!) The drum track became so old after the fifth song that I thought it would be better if we used my IEM's for earplugs. This is a trick I tend to do when I am in a situation with too much SPL or just bad mojo in general.

While we were waiting for the main act, (3 bands later) I happened to have brought an MP3 player and let Colter hear the S4's. Glad he liked them.