Biggest Rig

Professor Thump

• 2 weeks later...

Me and the good Doc ( Bentz ) went to see a concert in Chicago on May 16th. Disturbed, Lacuna Coil, Killswitch Engage, and Chimaira were the acts performing at the outdoor venue. L-acoustics provided the line array as well as the subs, not quite sure on exactly what they were using for power, but I counted 12 amps per side behind the scrim, if you assume 4 kw each, that's 48kw per side.

post-9504-13819474690396_thumb.jpg

Shot of the 9 double 18" boxes per side... they were running them for all they were worth, I heard them bottom at least once. [:o] If each sub cabinet is good for 130 db, that is near 147 db per side. It was loud enough to make the air around you shudder, and your clothes flap. ( yes we were wearing earplugs! )

post-9504-13819474691314_thumb.jpg

My pant legs were flapping a hundered feet away from the subs.....not the best sounding bass (kinda tubby actually), but dang it was loud and dynamic as all get out. Mids were crystal clear too, but the highs were kinda lacking....but that seems to be a common theme with all the line arrays I've come across so far. I can't believe how much gain before feedback they got out of that system.

This was actually the first concert I've been to where I wasn't mixing....

Did you catch any pics of that other system outside the Art Institute? [;)]

Yeah, it seemed the subs had a bit of a pipe resonance to them, and a tad bit of overhang. I would have to say it was definately not the best sound I have experienced so far, but it's hard to say what the highs were like without drift from the wind, as it never really did die down that evening.

No, I didn't get any pics of that small scale line array outside at the Art Institute.... although it was pretty bose-Y sounding, with a lot of midband information, but no highs at all to speak of, no matter where we were in the crowd.

This concert I saw featured somewhere around 21 bands over 3 days, all classic rock bands like Streetheart, Glass Tiger, Prizm, Heart, you name it. They had 6 double 18" bins per side and a line array system that actually had GREAT sound.

The portapotties 1/4 mile away were thumping ( seriously ! ) but the mix was totally awesome.

post-9504-13819474693384_thumb.jpg

have a look at my Vintage PA/Concert Sound Systems pool on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/groups/586326@N24/pool/

Thanks for the pictures!

There is something about those old cabinets that move me. Maybe it is just my back from picking them up in days past.

I really like the picture of the Turbosounds with their torpedo phase plugs pointing at you.

post-20592-13819474887378_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Friday June 5, 2009 I was the lucky receipient of some free tickets to Coldplay and Snow Patrol. Jenny Parker was kind enough to give me two tickets to Deer Creek because her plans didn't work out. I took my son who had never gone to a big concert before.

The bands were excellant and the sound as good as it gets. I will blog more about this in the future.

Here is a picture with my Blackberry. Sorry I didn't have a real lense but you know the security drill.

Thank Jenny!

post-20592-13819475493854_thumb.jpg

Coming into the "Grass" seating area we came accross this small remote stage. The premium guitars was a dead givaway that there would be a performance from this stage. So this was where we would hangout. Looking at the FOH array, I also noticed that we would be on axis for the outside array of speakers.

post-20592-13819475605262_thumb.jpg