Biggest Rig

Professor Thump

I don't know about the PA, but this is the only concert I left because it was too loud in my life. I was concerned the drums would disconnect my aorta from my ventricle. Of course I was wearing earplugs, but the hit to the chest was concerning. I don't think anyone was dead the next day, but I can see how you can scare off pirates with sound. Arggggg matey! Hand over them watts ya scurvy bilge rat.

post-27947-13819456376954_thumb.jpg

I don't know about the PA, but this is the only concert I left because it was too loud in my life. I was concerned the drums would disconnect my aorta from my ventricle. Of course I was wearing earplugs, but the hit to the chest was concerning. I don't think anyone was dead the next day, but I can see how you can scare off pirates with sound. Arggggg matey! Hand over them watts ya scurvy bilge rat.

I remember an incident working at EV years ago as a tech. One day I had to come home at lunch after working on an MTL-4 in the morning. The SPL was so high that I was nauseous and dizzy. The speaker was belching output levels between 120-140 dB as we were sweeping the sub with an oscillator. While watching the loading of each of the woofers with a strobe light we could observe the rocking modes of the cones from the non-symmetrical force of the air mass in the enclosure. In that system each driver pumps against the pressure of the other drive unit because they are tied together acoustically by both the front and back chamber. After hours of vibration from the massive SPL my stomach was a mess. When you drive a 1600 watt sub with a big QSC, Crest or Crown amp the dynamics are amazing and physical at low frequencies.

(see attached data sheet)

Now if that had been the high pack box MTH-4 forget it. That box could rip your face off with the 12 drivers all compress onto phase plugs and horns.

MTL-4A EDS.pdf

There's a guy at work that has sixten MTL-4B subs and sixten MTH-1 high-packs. I think there are more subs thrown into the mix too. There should be some gigs coming up this spring that he invited me to mix FOH for....I'll be sure to take some pics. [H] He's running two amps for each bass bin [:o]

The EV manifold cabinets can put out some crazy SPL.

EV MTL-4B EDS[1].pdf

A lot of this jargon I don't follow to tell the truth - but this hit home "The SPL was so high that I was nauseous and dizzy." I can say I got a little panicky it was so loud. And it wasn't a hearing thing, it was like a punching bag was swinging into me. How bizzare.

A lot of this jargon I don't follow to tell the truth - but this hit home "The SPL was so high that I was nauseous and dizzy." I can say I got a little panicky it was so loud. And it wasn't a hearing thing, it was like a punching bag was swinging into me. How bizzare.

Yes... You were experiencing severe dosages of low frequency exposure.

That's a ton of output from relatively compact boxes. But 300+ pounds each- ugh- roadie's nightmare.

That is why I like the MTH-2 for high pacs. Much easier to lift on top of the subs. I could lift that one by myself if I had to. My back would ache the next day but sometimes I wouldn't have a roadie and the trailer didn't get packed by itself.

And K' Bins would move much more easily than MTL-4's or 2's for regional gigs. We called the prototypes K- Bins because the horn flares looked like the letter "K" from the side view in the drawing. It was later sold as the PX-2181.

post-20592-13819456448354_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I saw Megadeth at the International Ballroon in Houston. I think it used to be a big grocery store. Not a seat in the house and one level. It was crazy loud and I loved every minute of it. I think my heart actually skipped a couple of beats.

Sean

I don't know about the PA, but this is the only concert I left because it was too loud in my life. I was concerned the drums would disconnect my aorta from my ventricle. Of course I was wearing earplugs, but the hit to the chest was concerning.

I had a similar experience at a Wide Mouth Mason concert in a nightclub with a low ceiling. I was within arm's reach of the left wall of speakers and every note from the bass drum was like getting hit with a rubber-wrapped baseball bat, or like being in a car that was being rear-ended over and over and over. After about twenty minutes I'd had enough and left.

I really enjoyed hearing the same band when they opened for the Rolling Stones at Skydome in Toronto in 1997, but I was hundreds of feet from the stage that time.

• 2 weeks later...