RF-3 And VTF-2 Settings

Gene2

Thanks for the reply.

I am using a B&K, AVR202 as a preamp and a Ref 7250 as a power amp. While it's set up for HT, my primary interest is music (90% music vs. 10% HT). The sub is connected with a "Y" connector to the sub out on the prepro.

For music I run the preamp in stereo direct mode and the subwoofer is configured to ultra mode in the prepro set-up. Ultra mode will send full range to the mains plus the subwoofer even in stereo direct mode.

For music my system:

B&K AVR202 as a prepro

B&K Ref 7250 power amp

Klipsch RF-3 mains

HSU VTF-2 subwoofer

Rotel RCD-991 CDP

Thanks

Gene

I had a real detailed post going a few days ago and lost my net connection. Boy that hacks me off.

Great equipment selection!

The Rotel CD player is cool I have listened to it. B&K has a great reputation although I have no place near to audition it.

Short takes on set up

1. Start sub at 45 HZ and speakers at Large or Direct as you stated. 60 hz would overlap a bit with the RF3.

2. Buy a reasonable set of speaker wire; you have not skimped on the other stuff.

3. Adjust the distance to the rear wall betwen 1-2 feet. I use 2 feet for my RB5s. Toe in slightly towards sweet spot. You can listen for a while with speaker back parralell to the wall and then toe in to evaluate difference.

4. If you can locate the sub with your eyes closed it may need to be moved or lower the volume level. Room disctates allot.

I am fighting pnuemonia right now(little tired) this post is not as insightful as the one that was lost.

Let us know how you progress.

Hope you are on the mend; I've also been fighting the same cold everyone else seems to have.

Thanks for the complement on my system. I did a lot of listening and homework (driving my then girl friend crazy) finding what components sounded best to me.

1) All my wiring is DIY. Interconnects are Belden 89207 with Conair F10 connectors. I tried several sets of Jon Risch's composite 82248, 89259 recipes but I thought it sounded too smooth almost dull. I noticed the horns stopped singing on the Last Of The Mohicans sound track. The main speakers are biwired with Chris VenHaus Cat5 recipe, 27 pairs for the low and 18 pairs for the high and the power cables are also Chris Venhaus with flavour 2 for the power amp and flavour 3 for the prepro and CDP.

2) I had a chat with Dr. Hsu and Klipsch tech support about integrating the subwoofer into my system. Both claim the RF-3s are good down to 35Hz to 40Hz so I should run the sub in extended mode. My VTF-2 is the first version so the cross only adjusts from 125Hz down to 60Hz (the newer model's range is from 30Hz to 90Hz) so Klipsch suggested I turn the cross down to 60Hz and adjust the volume to my ear. Dr. Hsu said that Klipsch's advice sounded about right but because the RF-3s will go so low, the VTF-2 might not be the best match. He also suggested I might consider up dating my sub with the latest amp, cost $200.00. I am thinking rather than updating the sub maybe a sub control unit like the Outlaw might be a better long-term solution.

I would appreciate any input or advice you or anyone else could give.

Thanks again, hope you are feeling better

Gene

Pretty funny...

"The Last of the Mohicans" soundtrack is one of my wifes favoties. We used it when we audioned the RB5s we bought.

The 60 hz limit on the sub is a bit of a liability. $ 200 would get the whole amp module I guess.

You may be able to get a more flexible amp module from Parts Express or MCM Electronics and do it youself.

I have not personnally used the CAT5 cable but everything I have read has been positive. With 4 kids and traveling 10-12 days per month on business, it does not leave allot of time for DIY stuff.

I am not familiar at all with your interconnects.

I used to spend allot of time in your neck of the woods, I still sell a little plastic to the Ford Utica plant.

Where did you buy the B&K stuff? In the Detroit area?

I guess it really is a small world. I now have the time to play because I just left a project management position for a tier one supplier to Ford Power Train Engineering. I hope your experience is better than mine. From what I saw with the bad attitude of the Ford engineers (you can always replace competence with attitude) and the way they treat suppliers, Ford is getting the results they (the personal) and the company deserves. (I will now get off my soap box and get on to more interesting subjects!!)

"The Last of the Mohicans" (The first version with Daniel Day-Lewis running out of the front cover) is also one of my favourites. Usually its the first CD I play when I am testing a tweak or a new piece of equipment, it really lights up a system. Then I follow it with a little Diana Krall and Mary Black. I must drive my neighbours crazy.

$200 does buy me the whole amp module. The newer module is a little more powerful and has a few more features like a filter by pass. Since I have a little more time between interviews, the DIY solution sounds very interesting.

Belden 89207 is 2 wires with a braided shield, all with Teflon insulation. Making interconnects from 89207 is a snap and IMHO it still has a great sound. For more information check out this site:

http://echoloft.com/articles/belden/belden%20interconnects.htm

Cat5 speaker cable is really cheap for materials but very labour intensive. It took all day to make the first 22 pair set and an afternoon to construct the second 18 pair cable. My fingers hurt for the next three days and they did take about 150 hours to burn in but these cables sounded much better compared to any cables I listened to costing a lot more.

My kit has mostly been sourced from Audiogon and AudioReview classifieds. The Klipschs do come from a local dealer in Rochester, Michigan. Originally I was set to buy a Rotel RSX-965 but I had a listen to the B&K at The Gramophone in Birmingham and thought it was a step above the Rotel. Then I got lucky and found an ad on AudioReview for a shop in California looking to sell their demo AVR202 for $1400.00, so I jumped. Along with The Gramophone in Birmingham, Today's Audio in Flint (nice people, ask for Red) sells B&K in the Detroit area. There may be more but I haven't dealt with them.

If you are feeling as better as I am today then we both are well on the way.

Gene

gene, the problem w/ using the crossover on the sub itself is when you go to do like some HT in 5.1 then that will cut off LFE which is speced to 120hz & can go even higher.

unless you want to manually adjust the sub crossover between HT & music, i'd check w/ b&k to see if they offer(ed) an upgrade to the bass mgmt for your 202. or get their reference 30. or the icbm may do it.

iow, the overall best way to manage the crossovers these days is in the digital domain. jmo.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 02-23-2002 at 04:21 PM