RB-5II vs RF-3II

John0392

jolly, what u get (well what i have always got in my room) is a big pressure node in the low bass caus the sub & mains are outputting the same info full bore in the 36-80hz range, but from different locations. if u drop the mains to small then just the sub is handling that range full bore. of course all results vary, but this is pretty much universal.

w/ a high low pass crossover, setting mains to small is the best recourse for this reinforced or sloppy bass.

if u set your sub to lfe only then it's not doing anything on the 2 channel music. if you set mains to small & it defaults to sub+mains, then you should get the best quality bass on all material (assuming your sub is capable.)

oh, but for keith & ears, i should add, if you put a sub in each corner then you should be ok. these bass balancing acts are tough. cwm13.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 02-23-2002 at 03:10 AM

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

I know there is much debate as to the set-up of the LFE, small vs. large, etc. It sounds like you have decided on the RB-5's, which in my opinion is a good choice for your size room. I have both the RF-3's and RB-5's, so mybe I can be a tie breaker, or maybe just another guy with his 2 cents submitted.

No matter which speaker you go with... EXPERIMENT! That is the only way you will know what best suits you and your room. It's also a lot of fun. Another thing... whatever you do, you will be well served by purchasing a RC-3 in the future. It is a seamless match accross the front, and dialog/sound effects/music in movies will have the detail that it intended to have.

Bottom line... good luck and have fun with your new Klipsch's.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

-------------------------

Family room: