Bi-Amping flop!!!!

Craig6519

Ok here's what i did this morning. I've been waiting for my H/K 520 to show up for a week now, so out of bordom, i borrowed my friends Sony ESD100 pre-amp and used one of my Acurus 200x3 amps for the test.

I hooked up the right preout to a splitter and ran them into two of the three acurus channels and then ran two sets of speaker wires from the amp, one to the LF posts and one set to the HF posts, and yes i did remove the jumpers, I then ran the left pre-out to the last channel on the amp and ran it's speaker cables to the left speaker, left the jumpers on this speaker.

I then started demoing a few music cd's through my dvd player as everything else in disconneted waiting for my H/K to show up. The results? Dissapointing, did i do something wrong? I could here nothing, no difference at all. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm running 200watts to the highs of the right channel and 200watts to the lows of the right channel and no difference between that and the left.

Could it be the splitter? Is it dropping the signal? I would have thought that bi-amping should of at least made a sound differnce, Oh i forgot to mention i'm using Klipsch KLF-30 speakers.

Any idea's out there?

Craig

Actually you are not really biamping the speaker. To do that, you remove the passive crossover and use an active crossover between the preamp and power amps.

I wouldn't expect much difference in the sound unless your amps are lacking in power and biamping provided more power for head room. Your Acurus amp is a quality piece that doesn't need the help of a second amp, so your results are not surprising.

John

Craig, using KLF-30's you don't really need to biamp with a unit as powerful as an Acurus A200X3. Your speakers are VERY efficient (102 dB) and your ear drums would likely burst by the time you would ever hear a difference. At 102 dB efficiency you're listening to between 1 to 10 watts most of the time (and thats LOUD) in an average size room, the Acurus will have more than enough power to spare for bass control unless you move your system to a gymnasium or concert hall. Just make sure your speaker wire is sufficient (16 gauge or thicker) and its terminated cleanly for the best sound, also good interconnects can make a difference.

Biamping is usually done on more inefficient speakers or to achieve a perceivable difference in sound using different amp types. Some people use tube amps for the mids/highs and solid state for the lows, which sounds great if gain is matched. I'm currently using an Acurus A150 to control the lows on my B&W CDM9NT's with a Michael Yee Audio PA-1 to control the highs, both amps have similar gain and work well together.

Craig---Well you're not really bi-amping. Bi-amping is the practice of crossing-over at line level BEFORE the amplifiers, either with an active crossover or with line-level passives. Thus each amplifier is fed only that part of the signal left after crossong over---highs only go to one amp and that amp is fed directly to the driver terminals and the lows only go to the other amp then directly to the driver terminals. Thus there are no passive components between amplifier and driver, also the amp doing the highs doesn't have to deal with low frequency signals. The subjective result IME is lower distortion and improved dynamics, these results are easily audible. What you're doing is feeding 2 fullrange signals to the seperate legs of the speaker's passive crossover, that's not bi-amping as the term has been understand technically since the 1930s though some call this practice "fool's bi-amping". It's no wonder you hear no improvement, you've improved nothing. Sorry.

Thanks, John, Audioholic and TBrennon for your replys, I called it passive bi-amping not "fools BiAmping" but thanks for your inputcwm30.gif anyway i was going to bi-wire them first but knew this a step up from that, so i guess i'll spend my money on some new speaker cables first.

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Front Center (OAK)

Klipsch KLF-C7 Rear Center (OAK)

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Dual SVS 20-39CS+ Sub's

Samson S1000 Sub Amp

H/K AVR 520

(2)Acurus 200x3

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player