CF 3 vs CF 4

johnhart

Can somebody who has had experience with the epic series illuminate the differences and similarities between these two, if you could?

Lastly I read somewhere that, you can get a cf3- version 2 and replace the ports, and it becomes version 1. Is it a valid statement and if yes, could you explain the process?

Regards John

I can give you some info on this..I own CF 1's and 2's both version ones made in 94 w/ the six in port tubes. As it goes theres three version of the epics... The second version can be an easy port swap from 3 inch ports to six inch (cant get into any detailed process although i can confirm that the port swap is all you need to do on version 2's).Although I beleive the version 3's have different crossovers and are suppose to sound like boom boxes, Ive been told to stay away from version 3's. Version 1's are rare but all versions are easily detected with the serial numbers.

The only difference between CF 3 and CF 4 is the CF 3's are dual 10 inch drivers as the CF 4's are dual 12. These speakers are capable of 1200 watts peak power. Let me tell you from my experience these speakers are made of some of the finest materials Klipsch ever put into speakers. They can literally put out incredible volumes ..clean and clear..voices sound smooth even at high volumes..not harsh like most klipsch speakers at very high volumes. High quality amps are a necessity for all epics..IMO

First of all thank you for your response. Furthermore I am in a a short of a dillema right now. I am debating whether to get a pair of cf3s or a pair of cf4s.The cf3s are the second version;"They are not the first series with the 6" ports. The ports are 2 1/2" deep and 4" in diameter." If I change the ports, like you mentioned, is all other hardware the same? Also is all materials the same in versions 1 and 2?

Now the cf4s are version 3. What would you recommend based on your experience? As far as finances goes there is a $250 difference. I appreciate your help in this matter.

Regards John

IIRC the version 3 cannot be converted back to version 1s...so if the version 1s are the best and you can convert the CF-3s to version 1...that might be your answer...disclaimer: I have never owned or heard any of these and am just going on the research I gleaned from this and other websites as well as an email from Roy when I was looking to get CF-4s in version 1...good luck with your choice...

Bill