dead port ProMedia 2.1

Hi. Well, I thought I was slick plugging in two speakers into a single port. [H]Not anymore. [:'(]One of my ports is dead. My Left port will serve either speaker, my Right port will serve neither speaker. Checked my sound sources--it's the port. Can I fix this myself? Thanks for suggestions.

Promedia 2.1

all of the outer diameter screws are what come out and then you have to carefully pry the metal plate away from the laminated wood since there is a rubber type seal in there, but after that it is all easy, follow the wires coming from the back of the terminals and then you will find the fuses that you need to check.

thanks. i still dont know where the find the fuses. what does it look like? are they the big cylinders (blue smaller ones and purple bigger ones) on the right side? are they in the metal box? i'm not an engineer or electrician by any means, and this is my first time doing anything like this. will i need to solder it back into place? thanks for all your help

so, looking at the circuit board on the right, there's diagrams that say FUSE i believe, but no fuses over them. theres 2. one yellow wire into each and then those wires go into the metal box. next to those FUSE diagrams are other diagrams, in pairs, but there are actual pieces above them that those digrams represent. i've attached a picture. in it you can see the yellow wires, the cylinders, and the other pieces next to the yellow wires. and all those wires going into the metal box behind it.

promeedia 2.1 woofer

hi. i'll try to jump in here. the radioshack fast acting fuse works fine. be careful to get the small ones, not the big ones, which are noticably bigger.

ok, i'm doing this from memory here. are you on the 2.1? can't speak for the 5.1 here.

look directly behind the speaker wire inputs. a circuit board or two extends into the box. at the end of the board away from the back panel, you will see 2 or 3 wire clusters with white plastic connectors similar to those found running from your computer's power supply to its disc drives, etc.

the most accessible of these wires is located between the two tiny fuses, which are situated perpendicularly to this wire, one on either side. for easy access, i suggest disconnecting the wire. it reconnects easily.

i used a needle nose pliars to remove the burnt fuse, which is held in place with two clips. careful not to stretch out the clips when removing and inserting. i had to bend mine together a bit after inserting the new fuse to get a tight fit/clean connection. the fuses are tiny with silver ends and glass in the middle, with the similar proportions to an AAA battery but much smaller.

this is almost useless--just in case: overhead xray vision view (fuses are under a board that would be between your face and this diagram, perpendicular to back panel.)

_____speaker input_______ -underscore is back panel

0 | 0

fuse | | | fuse

0 ___ | ___ 0

|

|

wire with white clip

good luck. if you are stuck tomorrow i can take a pic and let you know.

yes. it's the 2.1 . Thanks for your help. I'm still trying to figure out that you meant. A picture would be great if you can. Here's 2 more pictures of what I'm looking at: the bottom, and the top. maybe that will help get me in the right direction.

and the fuses are that small? much smaller than the master fuse you can get to from the outside?

woofer bottom

woofer top

still don't see it.

take another pic. take the whole panel and turn it upside down relative to the top picture in your last post. i remember resting the whole thing on that metal box when doing the swap.

if you turn it upside, resting on the box, the area you need to look is top left.

so the top picture with the box is actually the bottom of the woofer, so flipped, resting on that box, the sub is right side up and i'm looking at the back of it. and looking from the top, you get the 2nd picture. here's more.... maybe i'll get it in the picture this time.. haha.

woofer 1
woofer 2
woofer 3
woofer 4

this last picture should be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise

well the 3rd pic didn't work, but its just the panel opposite of othe outside back panel. youcan see it fine in the 3rd photo of my last post that was supposed to have 4 photos.

at the top left... i'm not seeing any fuses.. :( i don't know what i'm doing wrong.

edited: these comments aren't for your most recent set of pics, but the one before it at the bottom of the first page.

i hope after all of this it is in fact the fuse!

i won't be able to take a pic for you because i have a different model! i got mine a long time ago. my power switch, forexample, is on the other side of the box.

i'll continue trying to help you though. again, they aren't pictured.

i think the fuses must be either on top of or below the main board in close proximity to the speaker ports. if you were to take a pic from the opposite direction of your first pic in the last series, it would have a better view of the board close to the ports. if they aren't there, then maybe they are on the other side of the board.

focus on the area nearest the ports.

mine looks much different-it looks like most your stuff is on one board, while mine had 2 or three small board connected to a larger.