Sys parameters for La Scala.

lhunt

Hello All,

I have the LaScalas for my mains, a KV-4 Epic for my center, Heresy II's for the rear and an SW-15 for my sub. I am using a Denon 3300 for the front end , but I am not using the internal amps. I am using an Adcom GFA-5503 to push the mains and center. I am using a GFA-555 II to push the rears. My room is 25ftx15ft. My question is what would be the best setting for the bass, should I have just the sub getting all the bass or should I set it up so the front mains also get bass signals sent to them also. Right now I am listening to Marcus Miller a jazz bass guitarest and it sounds wicked. One last Q whats up with the AL's network thing (I bought my LaScalas and Heresy II's in 94).

Thanks

Lhunt

Stationed in Germany

La Scalas go down to about 55 or 60 Hz and roll off very rapidly below that. I'd run them full range and use the SW-15 to enhance the bass below. Try setting the SW-15 at about 50 Hz and experiment with the volume control on the sub to get the best blend. If it's slammin' theater you want, you may choose to set the sub crossover higher. If pure 2 channel, dial in less bass.

BobG,

Thanks for your suggetion, I have it set up as I type this and so far it sounds pretty sweet. I also have a KSW-300 but I don't much like the soundb it produces with music although it rocks during videos. I currently have it disconnected.

Lhunt

If the LaScalas are set full at the receiver, I don't beleive the sub will play when a stereo recording is played in stereo. With a DVD, however, the sub will play the .1 LFEs and the bass content of any speakers set to small. You may want to wire your LaScalas through the SW15 and then set it as Bob suggests to 50Hz so it supplements the LaScalas in stereo and in DVD mode. I think you can also run the LFEs (and bass from speakers set as "small") through the sub out or LFE outlet on the receiver. Some receivers also let you select the crossover points for speakers set to small. You could also run this to the KSW-300 just for movies. Experimentation with various combinations /placements /crossover points might yield some interesting results for both music and DVDs.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

It seems my Acurus ACT-3 operates quite differently from most receivers. I run all 4 La Scalas with a crossover at 70 Hz to both VMPS Larger Subwoofers. The sub loudness settings are somewhat different in stereo, DD and DTS, but the crossover point is the same and the subs work in all modes. Originally, I ran the La Scalas full range and the subs rolled in below 50 Hz. It was great! However, through experimentation, 70 Hz sounds better and has more impact, or thump. My front La Scalas don't sit in a corner or near a wall.

John