Help Me Pick an A/V Pre/Pro

Mikie

Gremlins have taken over my Elite AV receiver - the volume randomly increases/decreases. It's annoying at present, but I'm worried that it might go nuts & push full power through the Khorns (painful - especially if it happens to the wife). I've been wanting to go with separates for quite some time & this seems like the time.

There's no end of online information about amps & I quickly settled on the Emotiva MPS-2 (can't wait for delivery). Unfortunately information about A/V pre/pro's (if that's even the right term) seems scant.

My needs are simple (at least to me).
- 5.1 Audio (room is too small for 7.1)
- 1 rear projection display with DVI & component inputs (hope to replace with plasma within a year)
- 1 Comcast DVR with component & TOSLink (not sure about HDMI)
- 1 HTPC with DVI, HDMI, & TOSLink (no biggie if I need to upgrade anything).
CD's, DVD's & BluRays are played back via the HTPC
- 1 XBox 360
- No need for Phono input (I play vinyl through a flat pre-amp into the HTPC where I process through DC7)
- Balanced outputs (XLR) preferred
- Easy to use via Harmony remote (and of course "pretty")
- $1000 US or less
- Available now or in the near future (I could get a cheap temporary unit if there's a good reason to wait)

I would appreciate your thoughts about what to consider when selecting a pre/pro, and of course any recommendations.

Thanks --Mikie

Thanks DTLogno - I'll definately consider the Outlaw units. The old receiver was acting up again this morning so I decided to get a temporary unt off Craigslist. Not the greatest unit but the price was right & it'll do for a few months. Now, on with the search :)