Set-up Question - I'm lost.

trivox2

I have a pair of F3s and Marathon DJ-2000. I am really quite lost on how to get the two to cooperate. I about an XLR to standard stereo connector so that I could plug my ipod into the amp directly, but I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do. Should I music through a mixer or a receiver first? I have an Onkyo TX-SR502 that I could run the audio through, but I don't know how.

I don't want to damage the speakers, but I know they can put out more than I can get out of them with this setup. I keep getting a distorted signal from my amp, even when I know I've heard the speakers go louder when I rented a QSC amp for a party and used the same speakers.

Thanks for any help I can get on this!

I have a pair of F3s and Marathon DJ-2000. I am really quite lost on how to get the two to cooperate. I about an XLR to standard stereo connector so that I could plug my ipod into the amp directly, but I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do. Should I music through a mixer or a receiver first? I have an Onkyo TX-SR502 that I could run the audio through, but I don't know how.

I don't want to damage the speakers, but I know they can put out more than I can get out of them with this setup. I keep getting a distorted signal from my amp, even when I know I've heard the speakers go louder when I rented a QSC amp for a party and used the same speakers.

Thanks for any help I can get on this!

If you get a 1/4" mini jack (Stereo) to RCA connector(stereo) cable, you can run it through the preamp/Onyko receiver. Just use an empty input, like Aux,CD etc. This way you can use your onyko for the volume, processing, balance etc.

See the "Ipod to preamp" thread in this section.

I purchased a 20' - 1/4" to RCA's for my Ipod. I plug it into the headphone jack and the back of my processor. This way I sit in my favorite chair and use my Ipod. I run the cable along the wall and it comes out at the end table next to my chair.

Oh and Welcome to the forum, we are glad you are here.

Let me know if this helps,

Dennie

What about the varying watts that these things can put out? My amp puts out 250 and my receiver only does 75 watts-- does this matter?

I'm going to be using these speakers near full volume a lot because that's just how I play my music, and I want to make sure that I'm not pushing too much through them. Is it going to distort the audio more by having the amp up all the way and the receiver in the middle or is it going to hurt it more by having the reciever on full and the amp on a lower setting? Which gives better audio quality?

Also-- I have the audio coming out of the receiver from the headphone jack in the front-- is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for your help.

What about the varying watts that these things can put out? My amp puts out 250 and my receiver only does 75 watts-- does this matter?

I'm going to be using these speakers near full volume a lot because that's just how I play my music, and I want to make sure that I'm not pushing too much through them. Is it going to distort the audio more by having the amp up all the way and the receiver in the middle or is it going to hurt it more by having the reciever on full and the amp on a lower setting? Which gives better audio quality?

Also-- I have the audio coming out of the receiver from the headphone jack in the front-- is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for your help.

The Ipod puts out low voltage. But lets look at your system.

You're running a receiver and an amp? Where are your speaker wires connected?

Tell me what your components are. I know you have an onkyo reciever. What else do you have and how is it connected?

Dennie

That's the thing-- I don't know what to hook to what.

Right now i have a 1/4 headphone jack connected to a split XLR cable plugged into the back of my amp from my computer/ipod. I also have one of those 1/4" to RCA cables that I could plug into the reciver, but right now i'm not even using it because I am unsure if it will damage things.

Well, I can't speak to the XLR connectors to the amp. But it will be fine with the RCA jacks going to an empty input on the reciever. You won't hurt your speakers. Remember, turn the volume on the Ipod up and control it with the recievers volume control.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Dennie