No Bass at all on ProMedia 2.1 Sats play fine.

T-Ram

Subject line says it all. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Accessible fuse is fine. Seem to remember reading about internal fuses but cannot find hard info. Have no problem opening the sub, just would like to know what I am looking for and what not to touch period!

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions.

Tony

• 1 month later...

I really appreciate all of the help and suggestions!

After calling support and deciding NOT to spend $75 plus shipping to get this repaired, I bought a set of Bose Companion 5's. Had them just a few weeks and couldn't live with the price vs. sound. My ProMedia 2.1's at way less than 1/2 the price were MUCH BETTER SOUND! Still not wanting to either have Klipsch repair this or buy back into a new set with potentially same problems coming at some point not too far down the road........

I found an "unused" Klipsch KSW-12 plate amp on Craigslist for $40. Not brand new, but appears as if it was bought as a replacement (or for a project that never got off the ground). Also a fairly low-end Sony HT receiver less than a year old, on craigslist for $40.

Built a solid oak box (with wood I had in the shop) with a 120mm AC fan on top to keep it cool (just in case)! I've never attached a picture before, so please forgive if I mess it up.

IMG0324a1.jpgIMG0324a1.jpg

Boxed up my Companion 5's yesterday, sent them back and I am back to the sound I love in my Office!

For less than $100, my 2.1s are rocking again with more power than before. Hopefully this setup will last much longer than the original!

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am having the ame problem as you, but unfortunately, since I live in Europe and the 230v series (system as well as replacement parts) is no longer in production, getting them fixed is not an option. Could you please explain a bit more about how this setup works? What sub are you using, and how is everything connected? All I see is a line in..

Any help at all is appreciated as I love my promedias and do want to let them die.

Br

Andreas

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had a death in the family and have not been looking at the forums.

I am using the 2.1 sub. I just did not want to alter it to accept the new Plate amp. The affordability of this fix depends largely on finding a reasonably priced replacement subwoofer amp. I just happened across one on Craigslist for $40. I think partsexpress.com has some options, though most at considerably more than the $40 I paid. I spent about $400 on the Bose speakers and they just did not compare to these so even if I had had to spend more than the $150 cost of these new, I would have been happy because I am sure that what I have put together will last much longer than the new 2.1s,

If you look closely at the right side of the picture about midway up you will see a light green wire and a black wire. Both of these go inside the oak box I built. The green cable is 14/2 speaker cable that goes from there into the porthole on the 2.1 sub. It runs into that port and attaches to the speaker inside. I know, kinda ghetto, but again I did not want to alter the structure of the 2.1 sub and with my corner desk I have plenty of room behind my monitor for the sub and it is not seen, just heard. The black cable is AC power to the 120mm fan on top of the box. The black frames you see low on the sides are filters to keep dust from being pulled into the box by the fan. I have all of this plugged into a seperate power strip that turns it all on and off.

What I have is set up as follows:

Computer line out into Sony Receiver. Subwoofer out from Sony into the new plate amp. Speaker cable from new plate amp to 2.1 sub. Cut the power cord off the 2.1 sub and it will never be used again. Sony receiver powers the satellites. Computer volume up all the way and all volume adjustments are made form the Sony receiver.

No promises, but if I can manufacture some spare time I will try to take more pictures and get them posted. Photography is not my forte as you can tell from the one picture I posted and my iPhone does not take the best pictures. I'll try to remember to bring the camera from home.

Not saying that this fix is for everybody, but the sound I am getting now is basically identical to what I had before they died AND with the plate amp now being sufficiently vented and cooled, hopefully nothing will overheat and burn itself up.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your family, my condolences.

Thanks for your help too. I ended up taking the speakers to a distributor, who, with the help of some schematics I found on this forum were able to fix my speakers. It was simply a case of bad/loose wiring/connections in the sub-woofer. It would actually work before this fix, but only when the volume was waaay up. And that just didn't work to well with my neighbors.

In any case it turned out to be a happy ending. And if anyone else has intermittent sub-woofer dropout on their 2.1 promedia speakers, have someone who knows what they are doing check the wiring and connections.

Thanks a lot for your help

Andreas

Thank you Andreas! I am glad that you were able to get yours working again.

Wish mine had only been a loose connection! [8o|] Something on my sub amp board REALLY fried!

Happy at the outcome anyway! What I now have should last indefinitely!

Tony

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system Serial # 00464024. I can
barely hear the subwoofer audio from my Mac or iPod. The satellite
speakers work fine. I have gone through the diagnostic steps on the
FAQ page here:
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/support/faqs/i-m-not-getting-any-sound-out-of-the-subwoofer-what-should-i-check-details/

What else could be wrong? Could it be a bad fuse or perhaps the
proprietary 6-pin DIN cable?

• 9 months later...

Hi, I have a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system Serial # 00464024. I can barely hear the subwoofer audio from my Mac or iPod. The satellite speakers work fine. I have gone through the diagnostic steps on the FAQ page here: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/support/faqs/i-m-not-getting-any-sound-out-of-the-subwoofer-what-should-i-check-details/

What else could be wrong? Could it be a bad fuse or perhaps the proprietary 6-pin DIN cable?

Yes, it "can" be the 6 pin connector. I can help you with that if needed.

How did you open the sub, did you use any special tools cause I cant open the four screws on the bottom left side

Just remove the screws that are holding on the amplifier plate, once the outer screws have been removed you can CAREFULLY pry the plate away from the sub box (some kind of rubber based adhesive is used here).