Speaker Cable for Klipsch RS-7 Surrounds

Huhuru

My plan is to add RS-7s to KLF-20s and KLF C-7 Center, Biwired with AudioQuest Slate Cable, Yamaha RX-800 AV Receiver. I will need approximately 40 feet of cable for the installation of RS-7s.

It has been recommended that I use Accoustic Research AR ProSeries 14/2 (14 Gauge) In Wall Cable or AudioQuest Type 2+ In Wall Cable (17 Gauge) 4 Wire Conductor. Both are rated CL-3.

Any forum members with experience with these cables and/or whats's your recommendations? I value your input.

Huhuru

This message has been edited by Huhuru on 02-19-2002 at 05:27 PM

I wired my house with AQ inwall CL-3 14/4.Forget the model/number.It has an extremely tough outer jacket.I use it for full range rear powered towers.Sounds great.You might check out the Monster CL-3 in-wall at Home Depot.I would personally recommend the 14/4 or larger and use two leads each for + and - .

What do you think of the AQ Slate? To my ears the Slate improved the clarity of my KSP-300 powered towers as compared to the Monster type twisted multi-strand.May not be recommended for use with a speaker that one considers bright as the Slate may compound that problem. What say you?

Keith

I had some old Monster 12 Gauge hooked up waiting for the AQ Slate to be delivered. After receiving and installing AQ slate, the system improved at least three times over.

Newbie question: Why did you install two leads of AQ 14/4?

I will check out and compare the Monster CL-3 at Home Depot.

Thanks

Huhuru

Huhuru, I was referring to the 14/4 that has 4/14ga wires.Thats as large as the wire was available in at that time.By using 2 of the 4 wires for + and 2 for - the effective ga is larger.Maybe 13ga?

You might check www.audiogon.com for the less expensive AQ for use with your RS-7's.The HD Monster would probably work just as well though.BTW, when running the 14/4 inwall wire when my house was being built,I figured if I ever had problems with one of the wires(sheet rock screws)I could always use 2 leads and avoid re-running more wire.I also prefer multiple leads for some arcane reason.

Some day when you have nothing better to do try bi-wiring your 20's by using the Slate for the hi's and that left over multi-strand Monster for the lows.

Good luck.

Keith

Keith

The 20s are bi-wired with AQ Slate Cables (10 Ft.). Picked them up from AudioAdvisor when they had a sale going with 61% savings.

Again thanks for the information and your insight on cables for surrounds.

Huhuru

This message has been edited by Huhuru on 02-21-2002 at 10:14 AM