Need help on hanging RS42's in a tricky spot

jdoss999

I've always used speakers stands in my HT but I wanted to hang my newly acquired RS-42's from my rear wall.

When we moved in there was two pair run down the wall and out of a single coax outlet cover.

I thought I would just pull the existing wires up, drill a couple holes in the top plate, drill a couple of holes in the drywall, fish the wire through the holes, throw some screws in the wall and be done.

But upon investigating in the attic, I realize that the pitch in our ceiling from 10' down to the 8' at the walls makes it impossible to even reach the top plate much less drill and run wire through it.

Now my options that I can think of are

1. Run the existing wire along the base board, drill a hole in the bottom of the wall and go up. This would be easy but not very pleasing to the eye.

2. Somehow drill from the bottom of the top plate up and fish out into the attic. I can see this working but it would I imagine it would involve a lot of dry wall patching - something I'm not good at especially with our orange peel walls. I think I would also need a flexible drill bit just to get a proper angle. And if its a double top plate, it would twice as hard.

3. Suck it up and use stands. I've already modified my existing stands to hold the RS-42's but I really want these beauties up on the walls so I get what I paid for out of them.

Any of you guys have a suggestion outside of calling in the carpenter?

Are you running a 7.1 or 5.1 system? If it's a 5.1, why don't you use your side walls?

Also, to be clear, the area that goes from 10' to 8' sounds inaccessable. If i'm understanding you correctly, is the roof right on top of that section? In other words, slanted ceiling sheetrock, joist, roof decking?

I thought about the side as well it but I don't have a wall on one side and the other wall has the same issue with the slant.

The pitch is slightly different but yes the roof decking slants down with the sheetrock. There is about a 10" gap between the two.

1. Run the existing wire along the base board, drill a hole in the bottom of the wall and go up. This would be easy but not very pleasing to the eye.

If you have a HomeDepot near you check out the wire management area, by the speaker wire and RCA cable. They have a system that you can hide the speaker wire and attach it to the wall via the double sided sticky tape, it can also be painted to match your current walls. It is a half circle and the wire just fits inside that, they also have different elbows for the corners. I used this same product to install an under-cabinet TV in the kitchen, to hide the cable coming up from the basement.

I take it from your options that you don't have a basement or crawl-space?

James