AW-525 Grill Removal

Ok, I just got a pair of AW-525's for the back yard. I want to paint them and I want to remove the grill to do so. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the grills without damaging the speakers? The grills are on so tight that I can't find a good way short of putting in a putty knife and leveraging the grills off. Of course this runs the risk of bending the plastic around the knife.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, do you have a very small allen wrench? If not bend a heavy paper clip into a short L shape. Insert in one of the grill holes near the edge and pull straight out. You might have to repeat this a few times, like pulling the lid off a paint can a little at a time. It'll come right out.

I recommend having some compressed air nearby to blow any holes clear of paint before it dries.

Remember to pull the fabric (for in-ceiling speakers) off the back of the grille before painting.

Replace the fabric after paint dries (it's not necessary, it's just there to visually block the view of the speakers.

Thanks Michael! I will try the allen wrench tonight. Also good tip on the air. I want to get some paint on these tonight along with the subs that you sent. Hopefully I can get everything installed this weekend. The back yard is a barren waste land from the construction over the winter so it will be nice to have some tunes to crank while rebuilding the yard and gardens.

Chris

Well I got them off! My mistake was I started with the old CA-SW-8T where the grill is attached to the plastic surround and it just popped off nicely. I was thinking that the AW-525 and the AW-800-SW were the same construction and the metal grill is attached to the plastic surround. It is not, the metal grill is set into the plastic surround and Michael's trick works well. It was still hard, my smallest allen wrench was still too big and even a heavy duty paper clip was too big. I found the large paper clip I could fit into the holes and used that. I tried close to a corner and it took some force and some swearing but all 3 grills are out! Now on to the painting.

Thanks Again Michael,

Chris