PARADIGM SERVO 15 SPL @ 20hz

Ricky_K

Any body know what kind of spl the servo will put out at 20hz in a corner loaded confuigaration in a 2500 cubic foot room. Im getting an amazing deal on the servo, but need to see some spl # before i make my purchase. I can get it for 1150 including the sub and X-30 crossover. Sounds good to me

Thank you!

Ricky, the Dolby Reference Minimum for Theaters is 121.5 dB... and that's the target to hit with "musicality." It is not an easy target and most subs won't measure up. In fact, I needed twin SVS Ultras to do the job. Of course, not everyone wants to meet true theater standards in their home... but those split second sound bytes at the max sure adds a lot of reality around the old homestead.

Be sure to give it a listen under you kind of conditions to be sure that's the one for you.

Good luck. HornEd

------------------

"LEADING 8 LEGENDS INTO THE 6.1 GENERATION!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Bass friendly, oversized, glove-leather LazyBoy Recliners

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

in search of the Eternal Tweak!

Music Respite Room: Vintage Cornwall's in Transition

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing

Ricky,

The Servo-15 sounds as clean as it gets,the servo control does its job damn well.The problem with the servo is it will limit the output to keep the THD very low(way lower then most subs).

I had the Servo-15 for a good two months at home with the X30 crossover(still use the crossover).And in a 14*10ft room alongside the from(main)wall I could get near 105dB.Keep in mind this room will make most good subs look(err sound)powerful.

Neck and neck the Sunfire Signature bested the Servo-15 in output(20-40Hz).

The HGS18 bests the Servo-15 with ease on low bass and has more impact.Scored 112dB in the small room in the same position at 20Hz.Room gain has alot to do here.

I measure all subs from my chair,not at the woofer cone or in the box to gat high BS numbers.Anything from 104dB and up at 20Hz is A ok for most.These are not max peaks,the subs could sustain this output for several minutes without any problems.

You should try the Servo-15 at home and decide.Its clean,well built,and above all delivers true sub bass with very low distortion.Does it have the output for you? Depends how big is your room,where its placed and if you are a sub human like me who likes bass with wall curling power.

Try the sub if you at all can,good luck.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Matthew,

The Carver Knight Shadow is a very good value for the dollar.I paid around a grand in Canada for it!Its a great compact subwoofer and goes deeper than the Sunfire Junior and the Mark II!!!!!You read right

The Mark II will have more output at 25Hz and up but the Knight Shadow is cleaner sounding and "faster"...matches better with sat speakers like the Dynaudio Contour 1.1's and the RB5's.

For the record I have all the current SUnfire subs(Junior,Mark II and Signature...and the Carver Knight Shadow)and all in the same 14*10foot room alongside the main wall.Working as ONE.

Great sub bass,can keep up with the mighty powerful Klipsch RF-7's!And that is no small feat.

Paradigm makes two worthy subs,the PW2200 and Servo-15,the Servo-15 is more refined and is all about clean sub bass.The PW2200 is an awesome value,BIG output and low low price.On a side note I had them both at home for test almost purchased the PW2200 and did purchase the Servo-15.

Klipsch...well the KSW12 and 15 are ok inexpensive subs,dont look for any serious Velodyne or Sunfire competition here.Below 30Hz they drop like a stone,output that is.I use the KSW12 and 15 with my main PC right now(Synergy SB2 and SB3's with a SC1 round the PC system).The RSW line is better built,more musical,more output(RSW10 tested...only).

The Velodyne HGS18 is a real monster,great output and will dig as low as bass goes(clean 12Hz damit!tested it to 16Hz..who needs lower?).Great sub if you have 4 grand Canadian to spend.

Revel came with a new unit a few months ago,the Revel B15 sub.Part of their "economy" line.This $5000 Canadian(3000 US)sub bests the HGS18 in output above 25Hz and is a TNT home theater sub,as well as great music sub.The parametric EQ on the amp plate is a real bonus,I adjusted my unit to near perfection.

And finally the expensive(almost 10 grand Canadian)Aerial SW12 sub.Uses the same driver as the Lunare Tranquility Bass sub in a gorgeous cabinet driven by a very high quality custom plate amp.Fast,powerful and with HUGE output down to 16Hz!This is the pipe organ sub of the group,a true musician.The finish is near Dynaudio Contour level!If the green you have this sub you should own,a true Wilson WATCH DOG beater at half the Wilson's price.

And and.. then you have SVS.I borrowed two SVS Ultra cylinders from a fellow audiophile and tested them with my spare Carver TFM-75 amp as well as the ATI 2505.The output from these was huge,bass bottomless(Aerial like).For a bit over $3000 Canadian you cant go wrong here,you will need a solid amp with at least 400W(4 Ohms) per channel to take full advantage of the Ultras.In direct comparison the Aerial matched better with the sats and was cleaner.The whole SVS line looks like awesome value.

Tested and owned many more subs but the above stand out(well the KSW series dont stand out...I got them for peanuts).The Aerial cost me ...an arm.The Sunfires a toe!LOL And so on

And yes I am sub human and suffer from the Sub Woofa syndrome.I buy subs and half of them are used maybe 2-3 hours/week.Need more subs Need more subs need SVS SS Need JBL Ti-K sub Need new Sunfire subs

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 02-21-2002 at 12:30 AM

Thanx for the read TE, I did think the M&K350II was similar to the Vel HGS-18(should have bought it when I had the chance, "musically"). I have yet to see or hear a sub that matches the Sunflower(so right you are). The Rsw-12 is nice, but await the RSW15's arrival *YAWN*.

The Paradigm PWS1000, 1200...kicked the blah out of the KSW 12&15(with Mon 7's, 9's & 11's), ok, 15 was then smashed by the PWS2200, nice unit.

to add, the RF3II's were also used, nice match with the PWS1200 & 2200, IMO. The RSW line is out of price to the "average" income person IMO, a pair of RF3II at $1300, but the matching RSW10 sub is $1700 cdn, how much is the KSW15 they ask.

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 02-24-2002 at 12:21 AM

Well Klipsch never made any expensive speakers for the mass market.Even the most expensive Klipsch Horn is peanuts compared to some really expensive and overpriced "reference" speakers any known company has now.I just dont like to have speakers in corners,if not I would have the legendary K Horns by now.

Most Klipsch speakers are below $2000 canadian,the RF-7's full retail in Canada is $3600,still not expensive.

I paid less,...duh I will never...EVER pay full blown retail in my life.

For $1700 Canadian one can almost buy the Sunfire Mark II,for mysic the RSW10 is better,for HT the Sunfire whoops the RSW10 into a bloody pile.Its your choice here.I agree at $1700 canadian the RSW10 is not cheap.

TheEAR(s) Now theears