Changing Forte finish

Hello all, this is my first post but read the site all the time. I just purchased a set of FORTE's on craigslist but the cabinets are looking a little weathered. Needs a good sanding and some repair (the bottom sectoin needs replacement) on the venear. My question to all is would it be a mistake to abandon the oak finish and put a black piano finish on the cabinets? The black is better suited for the room but don't want to have the speakers worthless by doing it. Any input will be appreciated.

Oak will take to Black JUST fine ... if that is what YOU want to do... walnut, because of the lack of grain depth, is ONE I wouldn't recommend.

If you DO decide on painting them ... I highly recommend Rust-Oleum Black Satin #7777 and one of these http://yankeebelle.wordpress.com/2008/02/02/saving-my-trigger-fingers-life/ AND one of these

https://www.hardwareworld.com/12-inch-Round-Lazy-Susan-Turntable-pW3ASQT.aspx

Get your work up off the ground so you can stand while you paint.

Good Luck

Interesting, I am in the process of refinishing my Forte's as well. I had one of them with a water damaged top that I had to cut half of the veneer off of and sand down to where the water damage stops on the wood and then I am filling in the cavities with wood filler. I will then sand and reveneer that portion to see if I can match the oak well enough. My goal is to change the stain color on the wood from the natural oak finish to something of a cherry finish. Don't know if that can be accomplished but the worst I could do is end up painting them black. Anyone out there have any suggestions on steam cleaning the grills? They are dirty but have no defects. I am wondering if steam cleaning would damage them.

Welcome to the forum.

Yeh. I think I'd be changing the color to black as well. It's alot easier than trying to get all the veneer repaired to be up to snuff for visible wood grain finish.

be careful sanding them down. That veneer is quite thin.

Thanks Daddy Dee for the welcome.

That sounds like good advice. I was thinking on the same lines also as Erniek about changing the color to cherry but thought if i stained them and it didn't turn out well then i have double the work getting that finish off to be ready for paint. Too many choices! What's a man to do!

Jack

I need some good advice on the finish I am looking to acquire. I haven't researched for products yet but to get a piano finish I would think that a 2 part epoxy system is what I need. Not looking for just black paint in which the grain still shows but a deep black mirror finish.

Might anybody know of a product that would give me that type of finish?

Thanks, Jack

There are some real nice alternate spray finishes that I think would hide the wood grain or give some effect that is unique. Today I spray finished my KA3500 metal case with a sand finish Rustoleum black paint and it looks really good. I am thinking about getting some creative with the finish for my Fortes but if I don't like the look it will be a chore to redo. Fun anyway.