Discuss the use of a simple funnel as a horn device

You're not attaching the funnel to the driver diaphragm are you? You need an airtight seal, but the horn shouldn't move with the driver. The volume of air between the driver and throat is the compression chamber and acts like a low pass filter, so you want to keep it as small as possible. However, it's a necessary evil if you want a compression ratio greater than one. The compression ratio is the surface area of the driver divided by the surface area of the throat of the horn.

No, I attached a "lid" over each driver, then made a hole in the center at which point I used a short tube to get from the hole to funnel.

I was assuming the ratio was driver size relative to throat opening....where a 1 inch driver and 1/2 throat opening would yeild a 2 to 1 ratio.

I really dont know what Im talking about so feel free to correct or give me hints.

Im using this cheap test just see see how much science has to do with it

I have a nice sounding pair of AR bookshelf speakers that are the test mice....

5 1/4 and a 1 inch tweet....Im leaving one virgin, so I can compare progress.

Today I opened the mid throat from 1/2" (it was just easy to start there) to 1 3/4. 2 inch would have been preferred, but Im using parts at hand. Right now Im waiting for pvc to dry....and Im pretty high!

I will also run no xover to start and then fiddle with caps and coils

Should I plug the boxes port? Or does that not really matter? Im gonna cross these over around 500.

Well after opening the throat on the mid things sounded MUCH better...I am just shooting from the hip here,

Must wire backwards...

These look like they belong in a dr suess movie!

They surely show the dispersion effect of horns...but there is a spike in the 1-3K range...again, no analyzer here, just ear. But in comparison to the virgin AR, the sound jumps out past the speaker.

Im not sure how much farther Im gonna take this