Center channel shootout

jhawk92

Ok, I need some advice from all you HT experts out there. I have a line on an Academy that I'll be checking out this weekend. I keep hearing great praises about this speaker. I have a pair of Forte IIs as my mains, and my original center channel was a KV-3, which I thought did a good job, but, according to the Products section, was really made to match with the KG series of speakers.

About a year ago, I upgraded to the KV-4 and could tell a slight difference between the -3 and the -4. I understand that the -4 was made to match the Epic series, CF-1 through CF-4. Now the Academy was made to match the Cornwall/Chorus/Forte/Quartet, so on that alone, it should be a fantastic speaker.

However, my question stems from the difference in sensitivity between the -4 and the Academy. If memory serves, the -4 has a 99dB sensitivity rating and the Academy is at 96dB. My Forte IIs are also at 99dB, so by that number alone, I would think the KV-4 would be more seamless across the front trio. Is the Academy better because the horns were made to match the Forte, et al, and so is a better speaker? Will I be able to tell a difference between the two? Here is a chance for all the Academy/Forte (Chorus/Cornwall) owners to sound off. Any other info you can pass along would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Interesting. So basically the components in the Academy are more closely matched with those in Forte, et al? I am excited about seeing/hearing it. Might actually have it at home this weekend. Anyone else care to "horn" in?

Sorry about the drubbing of your 'Clones earlier this week. But I have to say, it's nice for the 'Hawks to actually win a game while ranked #1!! On to the tourney!

P.S. Does the Academy have "feet" like the KV-4 which allow you to tilt the speaker to fire towards the listening position?

This message has been edited by jhawk92 on 02-22-2002 at 10:09 AM

Boa-

I'll take any displaced Big 12 fans I can to root the 'hawks on! It's been a tough year for some of the better teams around, ISU, NC, Kentucky. Hope our good play continues for about another month!

Steve-

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll need to go find the Academy specs, or maybe even a brochure. Sorry to hear about your missing "family." I'm looking forward to maybe adopting a new center tomorrow!

Academy;65-20kHz,96dB@1w/1m,100w,8ohm,sealed,K-76-KV 1"Poly Comp.,90X40 Exponential,HF X-over @ 2200Hz,(2)K-1011-KV 8"poly woofers,23.5 Wx 11Hx10 deep,33lbs,MSRP $400,1992-1994.

Wish I had the brochure.

I "miss"the old family,but went for a good cause and has been replacedcwm35.gif

Go get it if it's cost effective.You will be happy,wish I could find one just to hear it with my K-Horns.

It doesn't have any feet.

3dB less won't have any effect on timber.

My Heresy center even though it has been modified is still less sensitive than my Horns,but keeps up very well.I do have it bi-wired to one 2 channel amp and that made a difference.Woofer to one channel and tweeter&sqauwker to the other.

This message has been edited by Steve P on 02-22-2002 at 11:51 PM

With the Academy, you'll immediately hear a significant improvement in the front array. The sound will be near seemless, especially when it pans from left to right or right to left. I've used mine with Belles, Cornwalls, Heresies and Quartets, it definitely has the right timbre.

You will be thoroughly pleased!

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Steve-

Thanks for the specs. Yeah, wish I could get the brochure, but I'll keep an eye out. I did get it; speaker was in very good shape, no box, but $325 was a fair price. Correct, no feet, but I found a TV shelf at a store that has adjustable feet so I can fit the speaker on the TV and still angle it correctly to the listening position.

Shape-

I've already done some preliminary listening, just unplugging the KV-4 and dropping in the Academy. Oh yeah, good stuff. Even running 3dB less (99dBW vs 96dBW KV-4 vs Academy), I could tell a difference between the two. I am so glad I made the jump and found one local. Tonight I'll break out the RS sound meter and get it at the right levels, then pop in some good DVDs and really enjoy. I'll post some thoughts to the board within the next few days.

I now have 3 speakers in my possession that I will NEVER sell; Forte IIs and Academy. Center channel tweaking is now finalized and will remain an Academy. Now just gotta keep an eye out for a second pair of Fortes for the surrounds for 5.1 music. Smile.gifSmile.gifSmile.gif