Any Will Vincent 6V6 amp owners ?

Evening Eric,

A while back I was contemplating getting a pair of 2A3 amps but chose not too. I was checking out the Fi 2A3s or even the Fi 421A amp. Man so many amps to chose from out there right now. Moth, Bottlehead, and on and on.

Are you able to try and run the type 45 tube in yours ?

Phillip

So do you still run the ST-70 ?

I did a curcio mod on my ST-70 (about 4 years ago), but am not super happy with it. Of course, I have the Moondogs now, and it really is no contest to my ears. I have purchased a VTA-70 pcb from Roy Mottram, have most of the parts, but not finished it. Maybe a summer project, but there never seems to be enough time.

Bruce

Hi, Phillip:

Apologies for this slightly tardy picture, but I was just enjoying listening to music yesterday. This is a shot of a slightly modified version of Will's Dynaco ST 70 rebuild. I made some changes which mainly had to do with punching holes in the powder-coated faceplate for front installation of the RCA jacks. I have always tried, if possible, to install jacks as close to the input stage as possible, but that's just been my own M.O., as it were. I took advantage of the subsequent available hole to the rear of the chassis (where the RCAs had been) for another pair of binding posts to make use of the 16 ohm tap on the output transformer.

The noise floor of this amp is extremely low, even with the very efficient Lowther horns seen below. These speakers are even more revealing of the quality of upstream components than the Klipschorns, and I found a very interesting modification of the input ground arrangement that resulted in a wonderfully quiet backdrop for music.

So. Here is just one of Will's MANY Dynaco interpretations:

Have a good Sunday,

Erik

post-10533-13819475221192_thumb.jpg

Good morning Eric,

No apologies nessessary. I thank you for sending them. Looks great and I agree with Bruce's assessment for the color scheme. Wonderful job. Those Lowther horns are mighty fine looking and I am sure with that amp a great combination. What are the specs for the Lowthers ? Also is your ST-70 set in triode mode ?

Thank you again.

Phillip

Hi, Phillip:

Sure, no problem at all on the pictures. Credit on the amplifier color scheme and face plate belong to Will, However (though I did tell him I preferred something less bright than the picture of another one of his scratch-built amps shown below -- which some people love, of course) The powder coating is considerably more durable than spray paint of any kind, and is extremely resistant to abrasion and scratching. The modifications I did had to do with relocating the RCA jacks to the front, and changing the positions of the power switch, LED, and engraved logo.

The Lowthers are in the Medallion II cabinets from Lowther America. I purchased them in unbuilt form, along with the Moondog kit from Welborne Labs in the late 90's. As shown, efficiency has been measured to be in the 103 to 106dBs (driver dependent). I have the PM2As.

They are often described as 'full-range,' although I think that term might be just a bit optimistic. Like any component, despite associated measured response, they have their strengths and weaknesses. For much of the music we have, they are astonishingly good -- electrostatic like midrange, but rolled off somewhat at the frequency extremes. A newer version of this same speaker, the Medallion III, includes a very fast tweeter, which I'm sure helps the HF response. I've used several different high efficiency tweeters on top of the cabinets, but none that were ever satisfactory. Having tried a couple of subwoofers, I found a 10" sealed design from Parts Express that seems to integrate quite well. I had tried our larger SVS sub, and it seemed to be alright for awhile, but the more I listened, the more I began to sense a slight disconnect between the two. What I like most about these speakers, and something that is unlike any others we own, is the fact that they don't use a crossover. They have remarkable speed and presence, but do, in fact, have a mild coloration due to the horn loading. It's a coloration I'm willing to accept, just as every single component -- CD, vinyl, tube, transistor, capacitor, resistor, etc., -- contributes subtle alterations to musical signals. The game for me has been finding which colorations are my cup of tea and which are not. Sometimes the less expensive whatever-it-happened-to-be turned out to be what sounded 'right' in a given design or circuit. I choose the rightness of sound over everything else.

This ST70 is not configured for triode operation, but that's an easy modification.

Here's one of Will's bright yellow amps just for fun:

Regards,

Erik

Or these sort of Bauhaus-tech Dynaco MK III interpretations. It's essentially the stock version, although I have seen for years modifications that use triodes in the front end, which many like, and I'm sure also sound very good. These are different from other MKIII he's done, which are also aesthetically, IMO, very appealing.

post-10533-1381947529588_thumb.jpg

Good evening Eric,

Thank you again for the info and photos. The Lowther''s at 104-106db are truly efficient. I too have been concerned about being "full range" for the ones I have heard (not in the Medallion cabinets). The highs and low being of concern. But by God still sound wonderful with the right choise of amp and pre.

My Edgarhorns have a nice top end and midrange but HAVE to have a seperate sub woofer. PERIOD. I went with Bruce's Seismic Jr. and let him set the crossovers to fill out the low end range of the whole system. It seems to me to be seamless and I have had friend comment on such. I would have loved to have the big Seismic sub but room limitations came to play.

Those Will Vincent amps are something to behold. I id not know he made a 45 type amp. And the photo of the MKIII's look great with the meters. I am a sucker for meters, I guess since I have owned several McIntosh amps with them. Speaking of Will, I was not able to get a hold of him but I will try tomorrow.

If I may ask, if you have more photos of Will's units please post or send them via e-mail. I would love to see the. Will sent me one the other day that is a photo of a PINK ST-70. Now that stands out for sure !!!

Oh I agree with you 1000% on your comment about the colorations and finding the right combination. Well put my friend, well put.

Phillip

I think it's neat you still have the Moondogs, by the way. I'll never sell mine; they are classics!

Erik

I don't think I'll ever sell mine either. Now that I own some classics, I don't want to let them slip away during some mental disturbance. [*-)]

I DO need to get some spare tubes though.

Bruce

Bruce:

Well, I suspect I should qualify that 'classic' evaluation. To me they are very simple, straightforward designs (meaning of course the circuit), and do not seem to get old in terms of looks. I considered selling mine at one point, and held back knowing I would regret it later if I did. On top of that, yours also have the MQ transformers, and those seem to less common than those with ElectraPrint power and OPTs.

I have been running all filaments with AC, too. I don't know why I like the sonic results of that, but I do -- maybe one of those 'mental' things. Maybe I just like the idea of it, but it does sound good.

Phillip:

Sure, I'd be happy to share some photos via email. The pink dyna 70 was actually something I jokingly suggested to Will, and the next thing I knew he had one built -- with pink powder coat.

I imagine the Edgar Horns are very nice, indeed!

Erik

Evening Eric,

My Edgarhorns are ok but compared with the KHorns and LaScalas they are more subdued with the Klipschs being more alive sounding, more real if you will.

I will be looking foward to seeing some more photos of Will's work. There really isn't much on the net.

Thanks again.

Phillip