Any opinions on the JBL 4638's...

CharlieTuna

I may order one of these but have some questions first as I'm not to technical with this stuff. Parts Express has a 120W sub amp for only $80 (Don't know what happened to the 150W some of you got). Since this is an 8ohm amp, if something fries, will it be the amp or the speaker, and would this amp be sufficient? As for making connections, do you just connect the speakers wiring to the amp? And then can I use the same LFE cable running my current sub to the new plate amp? Probably silly questions but I've not done much of this before. Thanks for any help.cwm20.gif

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see three sub amps listed in the Parts Express catalog and on their site: 300-792 on sale for $79.; the 300-794 on sale for $129.90 and the 300-793 for $135. I have two of the last one which is the same as the second one except with a remote control feature for an extra $5.10. A very desirable feature which allows for change of crossover point and frequency - very handy when switching between music and action movies. The cheaper amp has half the output but looks fine. Should drive the JBLs with no problem. All three are well protected agains frying and there is little risk of frying the JBLs with any of them. All three also offer a number of hook-up options.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 03-19-2002 at 07:03 AM