Decware SE84-DIY build thread.

Guest David H

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

Dave outstanding thread and work. How much time do you think you have in the whole build?

jc

Thanks JW, These amps are so easy to build, I dont imagine I put more than 15 hours into the pair, that includes designing the faceplate and transplanting chassis.

Then again, time flies when you are having fun.

Dave.

• 10 months later...
Guest David H

I have a pair of Forte IIs. Would this amp be enough to drive them in a smallish 10' x 9' listening room?

This amp will drive a Forte II to comfortable listening levels, it will not shake the walls. With a pair in mono the amps are quite impressive.

Dave

I currently have a Chinese-made 6P15P push-pull integrated amplifier that I've heavily modified. It puts out 8-10 watts per channel and it can get painfully loud in my listening room. I am considering the Decware ZKit 1 (a.k.a. SE84-DIY) to try out a single ended design that I can mod and tweak. I am thinking of starting with one amp and possibly going to two amps bridged in mono if I really like the sound. My 6P15P push-pull has RCA 6CG7 clear top driver tubes, and this little modified cheapie has outperformed a pair of 300B Direct Reactance Drive (DRD) monoblocks driving my Forte II's. I took the same amp to a San Francisco Vacuum Tube Users Group meeting where it outperformed a DIY Nelson Pass-designed Zen solid state amp. At that meeting, we used Klipsch Chorus 1's as our speakers.

Dave, you mentioned that the Decware amp has much in common with other EL84-based amps you have auditioned, but felt the Decware did a better job with vocals. Do you still feel that way? I've always liked the EL84 and 6P15P-type tubes for their warmth and drive. I'm looking for a little bit more of that holographic magic I've heard from an Almarro A205A MkII single ended pentode amp.

post-40256-13819584052402_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Dave, you mentioned that the Decware amp has much in common with other EL84-based amps you have auditioned, but felt the Decware did a better job with vocals. Do you still feel that way?

Yes, the Decware amps are outstanding for vocals. I am currently using the ZKit's tri-amped with an active crossover so it is difficult to comment on their overall performance. What I can say is: out of all of my amps the Decwares are the only ones I decided tio keep.