You guys have helped me so much, how about one last try? Once again, questions for 663 receiver.

smcilwaine287

The manuals seem 'dumbed down' to me.

Why don't they call it 'full range' and 'crossed over'? That would confuse most people.

Yes, LARGE means that speaker gets full range signals, everything on the DVD for that channel goes to that speaker with no frequencies filtered out.

Your sub will be playing the LFE (.1) soundtrack (what I call the 'blowing stuff up' channel), PLUS any of the LF content filtered from any speaker labeled SMALL. No sound is lost, merely rerouted.

I think you're getting the hang of the lingo. Just read about a bazillion Forum threads. That's how I learned.

yea I am getting there. So if that's the way small and large works, how does setting the bass output to sub only, or both come in to effect?

Setting the bass to sub out only is rerouting any frequencies blow the set frequency to the subwoofer only. Having the setting to "both" means that the low frequencies below the set frequency number is rerouted from the centre and rears and put to the sub but your fronts(mains) will output fullrange frequncy, and the LFE (colter's blowing stuff up channel) channel, if you don't have a REALLY good receiver, I wouldn't recommend this as distortion will be present, and your amp will be a heater more than anything.

If your mains are set to SMALL, you should not be able to route the LFE signal to them. It would make no sense as that signal would then be filtered from them and then routed back to the sub.

Routing LFE to BOTH would be in a very rare instance as I described above. Don't do it.

Get it?

Now put that meter away for now and just go enjoy.

Setting the bass to sub out only is rerouting any frequencies blow the set frequency to the subwoofer only. Having the setting to "both" means that the low frequencies below the set frequency number is rerouted from the centre and rears and put to the sub but your fronts(mains) will output fullrange frequncy, and the LFE (colter's blowing stuff up channel) channel, if you don't have a REALLY good receiver, I wouldn't recommend this as distortion will be present, and your amp will be a heater more than anything.

Do you have Yamaha? This explanation might be confusing things.

Think of it this way - the LFE -> SUB/Mains/BOTH switch has nothing to do with SMALL/LARGE settings of the satellite speakers (mains, center, surround) , it only routs the LFE .1 channel.

Again, with mains set to LARGE, sending the LFE to BOTH should not work if the software is doing it's thing. In any case, it makes no sense.

The basic premis of all this is NOT to send any LF to a speaker that can't handle it. No matter where the LF comes from, the LFE .1 channel or individual channels. If it's not a truly LARGE full range speaker capable of at least 30 Hz dead flat, call it SMALL. No exceptions.

Again, with mains set to LARGE, sending the LFE to BOTH should not work if the software is doing it's thing. In any case, it makes no sense.

The basic premis of all this is NOT to send any LF to a speaker that can't handle it. No matter where the LF comes from, the LFE .1 channel or individual channels. If it's not a truly LARGE full range speaker capable of at least 30 Hz dead flat, call it SMALL. No exceptions.

Not to be a contradictor, but my experience with a Yamaha receiver and La Scalas/JubScalas is different from yours. In my room, I get the flattest response with the sub running all the way up to 150 Hz and all the speakers (centre and surrounds are Heresies) set to Large, reasoning that cutting off everything below 150 Hz to all the speakers would give pretty thin sound.

When I tried the SWFR and BOTH settings, the BOTH setting (sub and LS woofers) gave a more full bass sound (adding 8 square feet of horn area will do that), so that's the setting I use.

As for Large and Small, there are very few affordable speakers that are flat down to 30 Hz and the manufacturers of AV receivers must be aware of this. It would seem odd that the Large setting would be reserved for very few speakers.