Radio Noise

Rodsound

Big trouble, I've just put together my new home theatre unit..... turn it on ...what the!!!!! radio noise coming through my speakers, disconnected dvd still noise , turned down Volume.. still the same. I'm only about 500 meters from Radio Australia and its massive aerial system . Question ....Do l needed to rip out all my speaker wiring and repace it with sheided cable or is there some type of filtering system that may help is problem.

That sounds like at least a speaker wire problem to me. The only cheap stopgap measure might be to twist the wires that you have into (at least) 1 turn per every 5-10 cms (edit - I'm talking about twisting axially, not making loops in the wire...).

If you are really getting as much bleedthrough as you say, you may have to get fully shielded cables for everything that is analogue: pre-amp to amp connections, speaker cable, etc. You might also think about power supply RF filters. Disconnect one cable at a time upstream of the amplifier, then check for bleedthrough. If the problem is severe, you might have to find temporary RCA plugs for those connections to your preamp or amp that you have disconnected.

Sorry for the poor prognosis here - but you describe a difficult problem that I've also dealt with, albeit many years ago.

Chris

Check ALL the signal path electrical connections, including those in the crossovers.

It is not uncommon that when a connection is almost barely microscopically open it can act to rectify a radio signal to present the audio signal into the chain. We guitar players find this all the time when an instrument cable (which suffers a lot of flexing and foot stomping abuse in it's career) just approaches the point where it is about to suddenly give up the ghost. When this happens I've heard commercial broadcasts, police band, Mexican radio, etc.

Try connecting a small capacitor, .001 microfarad or so between the speaker terminals and ground at the amplifier, both terminals, both channels. Your speaker wires are acting as antennas and providing a signal into the amplifier.