Problems w/Sony DVP-C650D DVD player

Steve Phillips

I'm not asking for help(unless you know of any)just sharing my experience.Unit was purchaced 12-99.

Not sure if this actually caused the problem,but it happened while using it;

I was using a remote expander while my 106"screen had covered the eq.cab.while in use.It took a day or 2,but major bugs took over.The player started locking up,remote would not work right,it would state"no disc"unable to read"errors,couldn't turn it off,etc.

I would have to unplug the the unit to get it to work at all.

So I stopped using the remote expander in Oct last year when all this happened and it "fixed"the problems until yesterday.

Well the bugs are back,last night it locked up trying to access the DVD menu,while watching a movie.Then it started all the mess it hadn't done since Oct.It even locked up on a layer change and had to be unpluged to finish the movie.All this when I had a group over to experiance"WOW".

This player doesn't get that much action,maybe 2 movies a week on the average since new.Not very old for a piece of electronics,but still a mass produced piece that "Murphy's Law"can apply to.

So I guess it's time to head it to the shop(wife bought it for a very surprized Christmass present)and I hate to replace it.Would rather take a beatingcwm35.gif

Anyone else care to comment on their luck with Sony DVD players in general.

There was a post some time back on slow layer change times with this piece and I called Sony(OK to good tech support)and they said they didn't seem to know about it.Ya right.I wasn't unhappy about it(speed)so I didn't persue it.cwm12.gif

This same expander caused a problem with my Dishnetwork reciever in the bedroom.They knew I was using it before I even told them.Had to turn the reciever off to get it to work right.

Guess I should have tossed it long ago,but never had a problem with it on a different system.

This message has been edited by Steve P on 02-24-2002 at 01:37 PM

steve, yea i remember that well w/ our C650. i fortunately got mine to the sony service center here on the final day of warranty & they fixed it pretty well.

still has a few functionality quirks but not in playing

disks. just like recognizing on the display how many disks are in it & some of those quirks turning it on & off.

it's probably the next major upgrade for me. but i'm tryin to hold off for the new tech - a combo dvd-audio/sacd/hdcd player w/ progressive scan & a single connection by digital or firewire for under $1k. is that too much to ask? Smile.gifcwm5.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I hope Sony makes a good TV, i like for my new flatscreen to last a while!

Boa

i got a nice zenith DVD with prodressive scan, with all the features youve listed for 159.00, check it out!

Steve im glad all is well, Im narrowing things down here myself!

I just swapped a brand new Harman Kardon reciever, and a CD player for a 1985 cadillac!! LOL

+ the fosgates, now i have 2 JBL 12 inch subs LOL!

This was an unexpected deal!

Regards Jim

I had similar"NO DISK" problems with my 14-mo. old Sony 660 DVD. I didn't have any persistent lock up problems. I talked with the merchant, a Sony-authorized independent repair place, and with Sony. All said it might need cleaning. So, took it apart, cleaned the lens--still "NO DISK." Bought a lens cleaning disk at Radio Shack and tried that--still "NO DISK." After multiple calls to Sony, their out-of-warranty repair cost dropped from $160 + 2 way shipping to $80 + 2 way shipping to $50 + 1 way shipping. The player was gone about 6 weeks, but was returned working (for now). In the meantime, bought a Mistsubishi DD-8020 with progressive scan and DVD audio. Bottom line: be prepared to spend $150 for repair when Crutchfield has new comparable Sonys for $250.