Trying Bi-Amp

MistaChy

First impression of bi-amping is not different then that of bi-wiring... but I have not given it a full test because its night and i might wake up the neighbors. But what I have noticed so far is it sounds very simular to bi-wiring at low volume levels (lower than -20... about -22 is a decent night time sweet spot in my crib, otherwise i vibrate the walls).

Now tomarrow when the neighbor goes to work, ill be able to turn it up and compare it to the system bi-wired and see if i can tell if there is a performance gain at loud volumes where i enjoy listenting to music (near ear bleed level). But right now, at medium to low volumes, i dont notice an audible difference at all. However, there is a difference when not biwiring or bi-amping. The sound of the music is very different as mentioned before in my bi-wire thread. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/121216.aspx

Are you biamping the RF's?

You are using an active crossover between your preamp and your drivers?

You have bypassed the passive crossover?

Did you need to find some PEQ values for the active when you replaced the passive?

You are using two channels of ampflication for each one? (are those speakers 2 or 3 way?)

when I started biamping one of the immediate changes I noticed is the sound came together much quicker (therefore closer) than before. my system sounded as good while being in the room with it than prior to biamping when it actually sounded distinctly better if I was 20/30 feet away (Khorns).

Another nice thing about biamping is I'm currently using an 8 watt SET tube amp on my HF horn and a 500 watt Crown K2 on the bottom. [Y]

im doing it the way that Marantz say do it on page 38 of their manual...

http://us.marantz.com/DFU_SR7002_SR8002_final_eng.pdf

maybe you can tell me how thats different from how your doing it [*-)]

the only differnce im seeing between what marantz consider bi-wiring and bi-amping is that i can get louder and not distort as soon when im bi-amping. but i dont really know all the active/passive stuff your talking about.

I'm certainly no expert, I just follow directions well! [:D]

Not knowing your unit and from what I've been able to read in other situations, I'd wonder if your amp is sending two full signals to each half of your speaker. If so then I'd suggest you are not getting all the benefits since you aren't gaining the headroom by using an active and splitting the signal.

In other words (and all this is prefaced on the disclaimer that I don't know what your system is doing)

Anyways... if your amp is sending a full signal to the HF section of your speaker then the LF signal is going to get ignored/wasted by your speaker HOWEVER your amp still had to go through the effort to create it.

Put differently, if I put my 8 watt amp on my HF alone it only has to reproduce from 450hz on up. If I fed it a full signal and it ALSO had to reproduce 40Hz all the way up then it's providing effort to reproduce that portion below 450Hz yet that part gets wasted. By biamping and sending it only a portion of the signal, I gain some headroom in that amp since its workload will be lightened.

Make sense?

I am not familar with your RF's nor your amp so I'm speaking in broad generalities verses your specific situation. Bottom line, if you like it then it's working for you! You could probably gain another fraction of improvement by going to a true biamp but you have to consider the pros/cons of the additional expense of doing that verses the gain.