RF-82 vs WF-35

csemoses

okay so i know im new here, and am probably pissing off some of you by now.

However, bear with me please ;) Major purchases require research and opinion gathering. In doing a little reading online about the RF-82s vs the RF-83s (or 63s) it became apparent that the 83s/63s are made in USA where the 82/62 are made in China.

Today, at work, i gave the demo pair of cherry RF-82's the good ole' knock test up and down the side of the cabinet. You know the one... Ive got to admit, I was not impressed with how solid it felt, how hollow sounding it was, etc. Shouldnt they sound accoustically inert? or 'dead' might put it simpler... ? Know what I mean? It sounded hollow, like there was a lack of real solid bracing thoughout, almost.

I didnt give the WF-35's the same treatment today, but I think I have in the past, when we first got em. I was more impressed with the overall build quality of the WF-35 IIRC.

Can any of you make an informed comment on this? ... opened one of these things up and had a look?

The last thing I want to do is drop ~$650usd on a pair of speakers and feel like they are poorly made everytime i touch em to get behind the TV.

Maybe I just need someone to tell me to "shut up and get the ... you will be happy with them"

Shut up and get them, you will be happy with them! [:o]

I own the 82s. They aren't the sleekest, highest quality speakers I have ever touched. The P-39Fs were. But they are in no way "cheap" feeling. I've never torn my speakers open, as that would void their warranty, but I am convinced that they are sufficiently braced inside.

I did the classic "Nickel test" when I first got them, by placing a nickel on edge at the very top of the speaker, as far foward as possible. I played a bass heavy song at a VERY generous volume level for several minutes and the coin didn't so much as quiver. I put the nickel on a nearby bookshelf, and it fell in less than 5 seconds.

How's that for sturdy?

Allright, allright... i'll pickup the 82s. Unfortunately, ive no choice in the matter for a center channel speaker right now. I'll get an RC-52. I'm sure I'll be able to hunt down a used RC-62 if i'm not happy with this one, in time.

If it turns out the WF series rock the RFs in time, ya'll are gonna hear about it [:)] ... i'm not holding my breath though.

Havent the WF's been out in US for a year or so already?