marantz sr5003 vs. onkyo txsr706

camaromoe

Hello all. I have a issue that i need help resolving. I am putting together my first home theater and was unpacking everything and realized that I am a idiot. While I tried to make sure I got all the features I was looking for I overlooked pre-outs. I contacted the dealer and he stated he would work with me on an exchange. So the two receivers I am now going between are the marantz 5003 and the onkyo 706. The onk has 10 more watts per channel and a couple more bells and dodadds than the marantz but the marantz boast about a much better amp section. I am planning on adding a 3 channel amp in the near future for the front stage so while wattage is important I dont think 10 watts is that big a deal. Please give me as much feedback *** possible and as to which all of yall would choose. By the way it' hooked to the RF-82 package. Thanks a bunch Camaromoe

While Marantz has a reputation for having a great amp section, Onkyo's seem to have more features and a very good amp section(upper models dual push-pull). I use an Onkyo TX-SR705 that I have owned for two years without a single problem at all. It takes everything I throw at it. I have it hooked up to a 3 channel 200w/ch B&K that really rocks my RF-63's and RC-64 for music and movies. I was considering changing to a Marantz SR6003 for mainly 2-channel and then backed off after I bought a vintage Marantz 2252b stereo receiver. It now powers my Forte's in a spare bedroom. Instead of changing receivers in my main setup, I bought an Onkyo DV-SP1000 player(discontinued) for all disks except BD and HD-DVD. I am using the player's analog outs for CD's in 2-channel instead of a digital coax and letting the player's better DACs do the converting. This change has made a tremendous difference in 2 channel music in my family room. As far as movies, this player makes dvd's look like BD's and the sound like DDTrueHD and DTSMA. No joke. I never new regular dvd's could sound this good.

Bill