Home Theater Vs Promedia 5.1

Raju

Well although I am listing to music since I can recall but I am just entering in to the world of Audio!

Now I want a reasonable setup ($600 limit) by next weekend!

Questions are very basic

1. What is difference between a amplifier and A/V receiver. Why video signal are connected to a A/V receivers. Do A/V receiver process video signal ?

2. What is difference between Promedia 5.1 + Promedia DD 5.1 setup and a equal wattage Home Theater system. Is sound quality changes ?

3. What would be a better setup Promedia 5.1 + Promedia DD 5.1 OR Cambridge Soundwork speakers -Ensemble IV + JVC RX8010 A/V Receiver ? for music and movies

Hope somebody help me take correct decision!

1. Amplifiers are normally considered high fi and are quite expensive, they only amplify the signal. an A/V receiver is an amplifier and receiver at the same time, more popular with most people. These have abundant inputs and outputs for video, audio, and often controllers, they decode Dolby DIgital 5.1, ProLogic (II, hopefully), DTS 5.1 & 6.1 and DD 6.1 (these are new and cost a pretty penny Smile.gif). It is actually cheaper to get an A/V receiver most of the time, but you loose sound quality.

2. The ProMedia 5.1 system is a great system, but not made to be put in large rooms or as loud speakers. They are, in my opinion, better sounding than most all home theaters in a box, much better sounding. Wattage is only important when A. It is a rating that is common to good named labels, so no PPMO, or PMO ratings, RMS is the standard, and MBO is VERY close to MBO. Also, the type of amp makes a difference. A tube amp may onlyhave to be 10 watts to do what a "regular" amp would need 50 watts to do. but then you are stepping to hi-fi, requiring some nice speakers like the Klipsch Reference and Heritage systems. (don't forget a speakers Ohm rating, ProMedia speakers are 4ohm, most receivers output 6-8 ohms)

3. I am very happy with my 3 ProMedia 5.1 setups. But if I had to do it again, I would have saved the $1200+ and spent it on a Synergy system or a QUintet system and gotton an amp. The advantage here is a the ablility to upgrade each seperate components, making upgrading cheaper and easier, but the initial investment is normally much greater.

You really need to hear both options. A ProMedia speaker has a bright sound, a sound Klipsch is famous for. Some people do not like this sound, and some, like me, live for this sound. Some like a more mellow sound like what Paradigm speakers provide. Just stay away from Sony speakers and Bose, and Jolly Smile.gif

I am sure some one like Boa or Mobile, or Ray, or Theears, or.... yeah the list goes on and on, will come in here and really give you some info, but for now, this is the best i could do Smile.gif

What is the size of the room, size of the TV, your dvd player, what all do you want to hook up to the speakers?

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

to expound on justin some, and basically, an a/v receiver is an amp(s), preamp, processor & tuner all in one. a receiver leaves out the processor (ie a stereo receiver). an integrated amp leaves out the tuner and processor. & an amp well is just an amp.

of course you can get all of the above seperately or combos like a preamp/processor/tuner in one (aka pre/pro, though sometimes w/o the tuner) & a seperate power amp.

an a/v receiver or pre/pro doesn't process video. passes it on hopefully w/o degrading the signal.

the reasons to run it thru your a/v are for the on-screen display provided by the a/v & for video switching by way of your a/v. f.e., from tv video/audio u just hit the dvd button on your a/v remote & your switched to go on your dvd player.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

told ya Smile.gif haha

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>