K22 vs K42

Phaseone

I have several sets of Heresy's and drive them kind of hard, love the live sound and feel they put out. I've had 4 cone fractures at the glue line of the dustcover in the last year. Would the K42 rebuild kit fit into the K 22 frame? Comments? Thanks for the information. Jim

Dear Jim;

If you are cracking the glue joint at the dust cap you will likely have damage also on the back side of the voice coil from it slamming into the back plate of the speaker. This long excursion and stretching is forcing the dust cap apart from the top side of the vioce coil pushing into it. You need to look at the bass boost you are using. The old HIP Industrial Heresys can take more of a pounding in the low freq side.

I am a speaker reconer and can put you in the right direction. As for youe question the magnet is different on the K 22 as compared to the K 42.

If you need help you can e-mainl me or call me at home at 978-343-9343. Thanks Joey b Northeast Sound Ma

"I've had 4 cone fractures at the glue line of the dustcover in the last year. "

You're overpowering the 100W K22 driver.

Running an electronic crossover to remove the low end will reduce excursion to a safe level.

Alternately, use the 450W Eminence KAPPALITE™ 3012LF; it also has much, much more excursion capacity (will not easily fit a Heresy II).

http://www.eminence.com/proaudio_speaker_detail.asp?web_detail_link=kappalite3012lf&speaker_size=12&SUB_CAT_ID=3

No doubt that I push them at times, and I am sure peak passes go well over the 100 rating. Did pull the voice coil tonight and took a closer look at the dust cap. No damage to the aluminum core the coil is wrapped on, the light oxidation on the edge is still intact, and the dust cover resides about half an inch above the coil, so no contact there.. My thought was the old paper cones are just getting a bit soft from the hard use. Was hoping to recone with a bit tougher material like the 42, but couldn't find out coil diameter on the 42 and core thickness to fit into the magnet channel. I can reuse the voice coil, but if the cutout on the 42 is for a larger coil, that won't reach. I will likely go with the 22 cone kit and see how they hold up. Running no bass boost, eq is flat from the media player 11 program. Main listening is country and the occasional movie. Thank you for the input.

They always tear right where the dustcap is glued to the cone, even when brand new.

The use of a real electronic crossover to remove the low end from the K22 will save it.

Alternately, the Eminence model listed may be ported to 37hz in the original Heresy enclosure. When used with the proper 37hz high-pass filter they will be flat to 37hz and have much more output capability.

The stock Heresy starts to roll off below 70hz, and has limited output (as you found out).

Would you rather have something that goes to 37hz, won't break, and can play louder, or the stock speaker?

The new Eminence driver would also have a 7 year warranty.