RCX 4 with larger Reference fronts...good idea?

chiroguy

I'm just curious. I have two RF 25 fronts, two RS 25 surrounds, and an RC 35 center. The center sounds very muffled and "tin can" like. I've read quite a few posts of others having the same problem. I've tried to tweak the sound all I can but I just can't seem to get it to sound right. Especially with the lower male voice, they come out very muffled. I'm powering everything with an Onkyo 876 so I have plenty of power. Anyways, I've read quite a few good posts about the RCX 4 and was wondering if it would be an improvement to my problem. Would it sonically be a good match? It's just a good price and with a lower budget being an issue I'd like all the input I could get. Also, if the RCX 4 wouldn't be a good match are there any other centers that anyone could suggest with a good price tag that sounds great? Thanks!

Hmm, I wouldn't think an RC-35 would ever sound muffled in any sense of the term. Do you by chance have the negative and positive cables switched around that that speaker accidentally?

The RC-35 is going to be a better match sonically than the RCX-4.

Take a picture of your setup so we can see what you're working with as far as how high or low your RC-35 is sitting, etc.

Well I've read quite a few posts with people having the same problem with the RC-35. Something with the ports being in the front... who knows. Try typing in "muffled RC-35" and let me know if it holds any water. I'll take a picture when I get a chance but I have the speaker above the flat screen with it angled down toward the seating area. I've checked the wiring and everything is where it should be. I've tried adjusting the bass, treble, the eq settings, dynamic eq... it's just when you get the lower male voices it tends to sound muffled and "boxy" sounding. Please let me know what you think. Also, would the RCX-4 be a poor speaker to replace it with if I end up having to? Thanks!