Sony Mini System

Jonathan1982

Hey everyone,

I am new to the whole home theater stuff. I currently have an XBOX hooked up to an RCA 25' TV with just a coaxil input. I know that sucks but that's all I can afford at my young age. I have my XBOX hooked up to a Sony Mini System with Dolby Pro Logic. It's 240 watts. Yesterday I went out and purchased a 120 watt KLH sub to attach to that. And I just purchased a Klipsch DD-5.1 to use for my XBOX and DVD. I already have an optical waiting for that. How is my setup? Any suggestions? Also does anyone know what cables come with the DD-5.1? Thanks alot.

Jonathan

Jon great start man. The reason you're not getting many responses is because most people in the HT forum dislike Sony audio equipment (especially speakers). But it's what you like and what you can afford that matters. Personally I would take that Klipsch DD 5.1 decoder and put some 5.1's to it instead of using your Sony system. That would give you better bass for sure and probably better sound quality. I would comment more if you could list the specs of your Sony system. I'm sure it sounds decent and maybe even good to your ears, but like everything, the goodness of a product must be relative to everything else in its category, and when you've heard some higher end systems, there really is no going back. Unless of course you don't care for music reproduction. But I firmly believe that most people can hear the difference. Whether that difference is worth paying extra for is your decision. Some people on this board like Theears will pay a premium for high end gear, others will not or cannot. Again, if you could list some more detailed specs of your system, I'd be more than happy to make comments/recommendations.

-UP

------------------

Liv Tyler as Arwen: "If you want him, come and claim him!" - Translation: "I am very hot."

Don't worry, Im young to!

I also have a sony mini system. I didn't get surround sound, because with mass market junk like that, surround sound is BAD.

If I were you, I would save. save, and save. Im in gr.10. I'v been saving for quite a while. (still need more, $1400 not enough) Amps in something like that are really bad. I baught RB5's and hooked them up for a couple days. Well, although it sounded better then the Bose 5.1, or even pro media, It wouln't cut it.

The sony is allright. It is impressive for $400. Lots of bass with those, "dule hybrid woffer's" lol. Boomy mid bass, and rattling "sub" bass. But for that kind of money, and a ALL IN ONE system, for a kid, it's better then most.

Remember, the amount on this forum with Khorns, is high. RF7's, cornwalls, RB5's rf3, synergy. They will look down on your set up, as would I.

As long as you KNOW that it's not as good as Bryston/RB5 combo, your allright.

I think your doing pretty good. DONT buy without researching first when you do upgrade...I once baught a nuance sub.

PS. I would say you need a new TV with at LEAST an AV input.

------------------

Matthew

Klipsch Rocks

Jonathan....Man i thought my little system is small. When i was 16 and i am 21 now.. I saved up $1400 and got pair of KLF-30 and used my dad's 20 year old marantz preamp amp. Then $2200 for my new marantz stuff like receiver, CD-player Cassette. Then got my surround and Center later. If You want cool stuff you must save for it. I did this on $5.50 hour but it took me 4 yours. Now i am getting a $1200 RSW-15 sub I and still make $5.50 hour By the way Halo is beyond great on my system.

So Jonathan If i where you. I would save $1000 or $2000 and try to get some left and right speakers. Use your Sony system and you KLH sub and your DD 5.1 to power them. then get Surround speakers and Center channel. then can get a pre-amp and power amp.

------------------

Bose Suck..Period

Thank you so much everyone. My Sony is 240 watts with 5 speakers. That's basically all i know about it. It is dolby digital ready. My DD-5.1 is supposed to arrive today. I am psyched. My sub is great but my speakers could probobly be better. If I were to buy new speakers and continue using the Sony as an amp would I have to buy a speaker that would be able to handle the small amount of watts coming from my sony. I'm thinking about purchasing 2 front speakers soon for about 100-200. Thanks

Jonathan1982.... 200 for left and right will not gain you much at all .. you are wasteing your money. you should try to get something like $400. If you look hard on ebay you can get some good speaker their.. Get floor standing speakers. Look for the small Reference line of Klipsch. Look at the RF-3II they dont need a lot of power. You be a lot happier with nicer speakers then with small ones you get at best buy. Thats what i would do if had i the setup you have right now.

------------------

Bose Suck..Period