Getting yamaha receiver to match with SUB-10 and bostons correctly?

superedge88

My main issue is the receiver I have in my bedroom 2.1 home theater. My yamaha R-V1105 receiver from what I understand does not have a variable crossover point when setting the front speakers as "small" which is what I would LIKE to do since my front speakers are Boston 90x. The Boston 90x speakers are very small bookshelf speakers that only go down to 120 hertz, which just so happens to be what the SUB-10 will go up to. So since the yamaha has an unknown crossover point that probably is not 120 hertz, can I / should I just set the front speakers as large without the system sounding odd and without hurting the boston speakers?

The Sub-10 has speaker-level inputs and outputs. Are you able to wire your speakers through the sub? If so, set the x-over on the sub to its highest position and connect them that way.

Although this means you cannot adjust the frequencies that are passed to the speakers, at least anything below 100hz will be filtered.

From the owner's manual: "

“HIGH LEVEL OUT” – This passes the “HIGH LEVEL IN” signal out to your left and right speakers

with frequencies below 100Hz removed."

So since the yamaha has an unknown crossover point that probably is not 120 hertz, can I / should I just set the front speakers as large without the system sounding odd and without hurting the boston speakers?

I was just looking at the manual for your reciver and it says that setting the speakers to SMALL will cross them over at 90 Hz.

Lower than your speakers can handle but better than setting them to LARGE.

so if you want to do it through the receiver and not throught the subs high level then I'd suggest setting MAIN SPEAKER to "SMALL", setting the LFE/BASS OUT to "SW" and turning the Sub-10 to 120 Hz.

Although this still has the potential to dammage your speakers.