F-1 and RF-62 - Reviews, Test & Measurement, and your thoughts

PFM

Hi,

I had been looking around a good pair of speakers for a while and I came across a special/discount in a local store on the F-1 and the RF-62.

So I went over and listened to them using my own CDs. Now while I did feel that the RF-62 sounded better overall, the F-1 didn't sound terrible to my ears at all. Not to sound like a magazine reviewer but "I think they sounded pretty good for the price". Now, even on sale the RF-62 is still twice the price of the F-1. Had the price difference been not that much I would have certainly selected the RF-62 without a doubt. But since the price difference is big I want to convince myself that it is worth it. So here's what I am looking for both these speakers that will help me make a good decision -

1. Reviews (online, magazines, personal, proffessional, any type of reviews)

2. Objective results - Tests and Measurements, of not just freq response but CSD and distortion as well.

3.Your thoughts! How would you compare these two speakers ? What is each strong and weak points ? Is the double price of RF-62 worh it ?

Your help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

I think the RF 62's have a smoother sound...............

Plus newer technology. Remember this will probably be a long term investment............so the overall cost isn't that bad.

Resale of the RF 62 also will be better than the Older, outdated F 1 .

JMHO......................

Welcome to the forums!

Klipsch makes a great product, don't they?

Main differences between the Synergy F1 and Reference RF-62:

The RF-62 has a much higher sensitivity rating, meaning your amplifier/receiver won't have to use as many of its watts to play at the same volume as it would with F1s.

The RF-62's dual woofers will give you stronger bass output.

The previous generation RF-25 has the same size woofers and similar specifications to the RF-62. There's a seller on eBay that has brand new pairs for $449/best offer Buy-It-Now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-RF-25-Tower-speaker-BLACK-NEW_W0QQitemZ290336284167QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item4399641e07&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

That might be something to seriously consider as it gets you into the price range of the F1s but similar performance of the RF-62s.

thanks everyone for your comments.

yes I saw budkole's speaker on Audiogon as well. I know the RF-82 gets great reviews but would be nice to hear it first to make sure the larger drivers dont compromise the midrange to my satisfaction.

I wonder how do the Paradigm Monitor 7 & 9 and Studio 60 stack up to the RF-62 and 82 ? I have heard the Monitor 7 and 9 and did indeed like them. Sometimes its possible to find these speakers on Audiogon or Craigslist for much less then retail.

When I was looking for speakers, I went with the RF-62's over the Paradigm 7 or 11 as I didn't like how the midrange was so dominant, and I find that as well with the RF-82's. I did like the sound of the Monitor 9's as they have a lower x-over point, and thats what helped me pick the RF-62's cause of the x-over point. Having the lower x-over means I don't have the woofers doing the upper midrange so much, and its letting the horns sing.