5.1 Speaker Advice Request - RF-62, RC-52, & more.

tibookx

Setting up a home theatre system for a friend -- rescued him from Best Buy hell and am helping him buy all components required.

(first post -- happy to be on the board, looks like a LOT of good info!)

My first project was selecting the speakers for the system. Next will be a receiver (and recommendations are absolutely welcome, thinking Denon) and I know I will be getting a Pioneer KURO PDP-6020FD (60" 1080p plasma, the last, the best!)

Going to buy the following Klipsch components, and I wanted to make sure I matched these correctly:

- Front, L/R = RF-62

- Surround, L/R = RS-42

- Center = RC-52

- Subwoofer = XW500d (already purchased @ 1/3 retail, probably one of the best bargains I have gotten in a long time!)

Considering the following

- RF-52 instead of the RF-62s to save $$$. I am hesitant to do so because of room being pretty big (more info about room once we get discussion started, let's just say it SUCKS).

- RC-62 instead of RC-52, but do not know if price difference is justified.

I believe I would be better off spending the extra $$$ to get RF-62s and getting an RC-52 center channel, as the RF-62s will make up for any lack of volume from spoken word dialog. is this approach correct?

With these speakers matched together currently, is this amalgam of speakers for 5.1 "correct"?

If not, what do you change? Remember, pricing is key. THANKS FOR ANY & ALL RESPONSES!!!!!

Hi and welcome.

The Denon is used and liked here, so are receivers such as Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, Pioneer and HK. The tv is an excellent choice.. not that I would know but there is a thread here someplace and all thumbs were up.

Through my experience you would want to get the best centre you can afford (as long as it is timber matched re reference with reference, heritage with heritage) for HT, you don’t want your centre struggling to keep up with the mains.

This is complicated because I have negotiated drastically lower pricing vs MSRP and do not know if it is verboten to post the prices on this forum.

My "target" budget for these five speakers (Front x2, Surround x2, center) is $1200.

With the set up I described (2x RF-62, 2x RS-42, 1x RC-52) my cost is about $1360 (with shipping, no tax).

To say I negotiate hard is an understatement of epic proportion :-)

Is this system for you or your friend? What city will this system reside? The reason for these questions is that there are alot of Reference speakers on the used market for very reasonable prices. Would you consider used speakers? I bought a pair of mint cherry RF-63's for $1000.00 on the used market and the seller even delivered them to my home.

Bill

System's end user doesn't matter, it's for me for all intensive purposes.

No interest in used speakers 99% of the time.

One used from reputable seller would be nice, but no deal otherwise.

PS - willand you should check your private messages.

Exactly -- this is precisely why I wonder if putting an RC-52 with RF-62s in the front will be as effective...
I want to get an RC-62 I think.... but the less I spend the more I have for "other projects".

I think you should buy the RC-52 and then do this.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/123294.aspx

Bill