Matching F-3s with Quintet III for surround

sounds good

I have a pair of F-3's and I'm thinking of getting a pair of Quintet III for surround and C-1 for center to create my home theater. My listening area is 12x20. I listen to music and the F-3s sounds awesome but would like to get the surraound effect when watching movies. I think this set up should be fine, but was wondering if anyone this set up or am I just being crazy. thanks

Thanks for all the good suggestions. However is there a reason why I couldn't go with smaller surrounds and center? I think my room is not that big (12x20) and the surrounds are only being used when I'm watching movies. I guess the questions is what are the pros and cons for getting the Quintet III vs S-3 besides the size and price difference.

Totally agree with Bill H. you'd be MUCH happier with the sound quality of the S-3's compared to the Quintet III's.

I was using Quintet III's for surround speakers for awhile but felt they didn't sound right with my F-2's and C-2. (had to turn the levels up +3 dB on the Quintets as well as set the crossover point at 120 kh on my receiver). Was going to get S-2's or S-3's to replace them but got a great deal on another pair of F-2's.

Sounds much better now with F-2's (front L/R) C-2 (center) F-2's (surround L/R) and now my crossover is at 80 hz

Also, this is in a smaller room than yours (11x18). Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I’m curious what choices you have made and what you think of your sound. I have a 12X20 living room too. I have the Tv and sectional/chairs on the long walls so there is a short distance between the TV and sitting area. I started with the QIII’s with a Klipsch 10” sub. I always planned on upgrading a little at a time and I recently found a great deal on a set of F-3’s. I simply added them thinking it would be just fine, but I quickly realized just how much more the F-3’s were out-performing and over-powering the QIII’s center channel. I completely agree that you need a better match up front because simply adding decibels to the center channel didn’t help. The sound either comes off way to harsh out of the center or I loose the advantage of the F-3’s by keeping the overall volume down.

However, I am still using the QIII’s for surround. I have no doubt that I will like the S series far more, but the QIII;s really aren’t that bad. I did increase their levels a little bit to keep up with the front, but the speakers are not too far from either side of the sectional so they still sound nice. It all comes down to getting the most for your money. If I had the ability I wouldn’t be in the Synergy line ;-). I will get some S-2 or 3’s soon, but I am content with them for now.

If you did keep the QIII’s, let me know what you think of them with your F-3’s and what you did for a center channel.

The F-3s are just a great speakers for the money. I end up getting the C-2 with a pair of S-2s. They sound great! I also got a pair of Quintet IIIs just to compare and found that they didn't make much difference with most movies on blueray disc. However, like Klorslug said, I had to bring up the level to +3bB and crossover to 120kh on the Quintets. So yes, I end up using the S-2s and my Quintets for surround. It never hurts to have more speakers. J