Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 Control Pod

TroubleMan

I bought the Promedia 4.1 speakers back in 2002 and they were going great until 2008 when the speakers died. When I opened the control pod and inspected the circuit board, there were four capacitors (or
resistors, I'm not sure which) that were burnt. My speakers appear to be in perfect working condition,
but it appears that the control pod has some defective parts that
prevent the system from operating.

Is there a way I can get my control pod replaced (repair or buy a new one)?

are you sure the parts are burnt? orcan be be that you are lloking at the ugly brownish glue that they used to hold some parts in place? and if you do know that they are burnt then they should be repalceable and you can probably even find the parts at RadioShack. Take some good pictures of what you are looking at and send them to me please and i will see what I can do to help you out.

Sure thing, I was planning on taking a picture when I returned from vacation, but I'm pretty sure they're burnt and it's not glue. I was thinking I could replace the parts, but I wouldn't know where to start looking; they're components that say 47K on each, and I haven't found anything on Google that resembles them. If this can be remedied with a trip to Radio Shack and some soldering on my end, I will be very happy.

Unfortunately, that is pretty much how they all look, that is some type of glue or thermal paste or something of that nature, I have seen that on every CP-1 pod that I have encountered. If you don't figure out what is wrong or get it fixed then let me know as I may be willing to purchase some pieces from you for parts. otherwise you can send the sub to www.sybesmas.com and they can fix it there.

I opened up the subwoofer and I don't see anything burnt or broken, it looks like it's in great condition.

I tried firing up the speakers again, perhaps someone may have seen this problem. When I plug the speakers in, the subwoofer, powers up, the control pod is in standby. I can power on the control pod and when you manipulate the volume, you can hear that "turning noise" (not really a hiss, but that hum of speakers that are turned on but no output of sound). When I plug the speakers into my computer and connect the speaker wires, I get nothing out of any of the channels.

Is this a familiar problem?

Unfortunately, that is pretty much how they all look, that is some type of glue or thermal paste or something of that nature, I have seen that on every CP-1 pod that I have encountered. If you don't figure out what is wrong or get it fixed then let me know as I may be willing to purchase some pieces from you for parts. otherwise you can send the sub to www.sybesmas.com and they can fix it there.

About how much does Sybesmas charge for repairs. I'm wondering if I should just get new speakers. At the same time I feel as if I can still use these satelittes (that is if I figure out how to integrate them into a new system).

I don't know what they charge, you can probably call them and ask, they repair enough of them to know off hand what they would charge I would think. and as far as the satellites go, yeah, you can pretty much run them with most home receivers, if you ever need nice speaker wires for them let me know. But Call sybesmas and see what they say and keep me (us) posted on your progress.

• 4 months later...

I wish they made the pod available like the ProMedia 2.1. I am having the same issues in the potentiometer myself.

Yeah, me too. I'm also having problems with one set of 4.1's I have. It have narrowed it down to the controller pod. I don't know if it's a DIN issue or not. When I turn the volume up or down it hisses and I get random sounds from the speakers.

• 1 month later...

I have had this problem for years on my original 4.1s and my son's 2.1s. I purchased the PM 5.1s which lasted almost 3 years before the amp died and he purchased a set of Logitechs. Anyway, I picked up some DeOxit at Radio Shack today the the problem has been solved.

• 7 months later...

Hi there, I'm having a problem with my 4.1's, the rear channel doesn't work at all, just some loud static and popping when I turn the surround volume knob. Front channel and sub work great. Any ideas on what the problem might be or how to fix it? Anyone have a working 4.1 control pod they'd be willing to sell me?

Has anyone ever used the sub/amp and speakers and rigged up something else to control them?

Klipsch says they'll fix the control pod for $60 which seems steep, especially considering how many issues there are posted here about these stupid control pods!

Thanks!

(Oh, i posted on another thread here yesterday but this thread has more responders, I'm just hoping that someone who can help me out reads it)

• 8 months later...

I use CRC non-chlorinated low VOC brake parts cleaner. I have used it for years to clean electronics and brushed rc car motors.

It's a brake cleaner that doesn't have trichloroethylene or tetrachloroethylene in it.

It has acetone, toluene, methanol and carbon dioxide, so it's not exactly the same as electrical parts cleaner but it's close.

Sorry, just going with my experience with other electrical components.

• 8 months later...