Too many subs...

chickenhawk2

Hello,

This is my first post in the forum, so bear with me. I'm in the happy position of sitting on too many subs at the moment. I have a KSW-10, a KSW-15, and a MartinLogan Dynamo.

For background, my system is a Yamaha HTR-5760 running RF3 II's in the front, an RC35 in the center, and up to 4 SS.5's in the rear (I only have 2 going due to space right now).

I have been running everything as a "small" speaker and send the bass to the subwoofer only. I didn't feel like I was getting enough through my KSW-10 and ran across the KSW-15. The 15 didn't quite do it for me, so I split the sub signal and set the pass higher on the 10 and lower on the 15. It sounded great, but not awesome.

Now, however, I've ended up with a MartinLogan Dynamo. I'm playing with it and love the different, non-ported sound it's giving me. I've split the bass with the KSW-10 and it sounds pretty good. However, I'm having trouble coming up with a sound that I feel I should be getting with my gear. I'm fairly new to the hobby, and am trying to learn quickly - but I am pretty clueless in some areas. Any suggestions?

The sound seems to live in the high highs and lows. It doesn't feel like I'm gettng enough mid-tone. Also, it's often hard to watch movies on one volume - I have to turn it up during dialogue and down again when the action starts. I've read good things about my various equipment, so I figure that I have something set up incorrectly.

As for frequency response - I have no idea. I don't have an SPL meter or test CD. I'm a bit short on money right now (we just had a baby), are there any cost efficient ways to do this?

It really sounds like you need to calibrate your system. If your receiver didn't come with a mic and set-up software, your next investment needs to be an SPL meter and disc like AVIA. The SPL meter is a long term investment that you'll use over and over again for years to come. Any time you move or change speakers, change components, or even add or move furniture you should re-calibrate.