Advice for amp/receiver for KG 4.2 speakers

packbasket

Hi all, new to the community and my first post. I just aquired a pair of Oak clr. KG 4.2 speakers and I love them. I currently have a Denon AVR-3802 matched with them and I love the sound, but I have other power sources available and I would really appreciate any experience and advice for the following as potential matches for these speakers:

Harman Kardon 730, Marantz 1060, NAD 317, Nakamichi TA-3A, or stick with the Denon.

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to the replies!

I just picked up two pairs of KG 4.2's off Craigslist. Great deals I just couldn't pass up.

I power mine with a Marantz 1070 and a Harmon Kardon 430. They both do a great job with the 4.2's........I actually prefer the 1070 slightly over the 430.

I've had a couple Denon receivers including a 3805.....and for two-channel listening I can't imagine the Denon could hang with the vintage pieces mentioned above. YMMV.

Curious to hear your thoughts on which one of your receivers you like best. Congrats on your 4.2's........I really like them as well. [:D]

So vintage sounds better with these KG's?

That's for your own ears to decide. My ears prefer vintage gear for two-channel listening over modern day HT receivers.

All that really matters is that you like what you're hearing. [:D]

I have tried the HK 730, the NAD 317 and the Denon with these KG 4.2 speakers. I am trying to convince myself that the NAD and HK sound better...but I keep plugging the Denon back in for another whirl. Somebody tell me I'm out of my mind! I have not yet tried the NAK TA-3A.

I've read older posts that certain amps just aren't meant for horns, for instance Carver amps of the 1980's were not recommended. Tubes sound good, and modern digital receivers as well...which I need a clear definition of. Is my Denon AVR-3802 considered a digital receiver? Is NAD in a category with Carver as possibly being too harsh for Klipsch speakers?

I know it's what sounds best to me ultimately, but these speakers have been around for quite a few years now and I would like to hear what some forum members have used to drive them.

Thanks!

I have tried the HK 730, the NAD 317 and the Denon with these KG 4.2 speakers. I am trying to convince myself that the NAD and HK sound better...but I keep plugging the Denon back in for another whirl. Somebody tell me I'm out of my mind! I have not yet tried the NAK TA-3A.

I've read older posts that certain amps just aren't meant for horns, for instance Carver amps of the 1980's were not recommended. Tubes sound good, and modern digital receivers as well...which I need a clear definition of. Is my Denon AVR-3802 considered a digital receiver? Is NAD in a category with Carver as possibly being too harsh for Klipsch speakers?

I know it's what sounds best to me ultimately, but these speakers have been around for quite a few years now and I would like to hear what some forum members have used to drive them.

Thanks!

No you are not out of your mind. Different receivers and amps will sound different, that is madness of this hobby! That's why we love it so, LOL. Anyway find what sounds the best "to YOU" and stick with it. The KG horn can sound edgy or even harsh at high volumes with the wrong match so consider that when choosing.

I tell you what I would drive those with, a Scott 299B or Scott 233 and walk away, but then again thats my opinion from having those great little integrated amps. Let me know what you decide or if I can help further.