pair of KSB 3.1 or SC-1s as a matching back channel for KLS-20 fronts

ssscottg

Help me decide:

I have the KLS-C7 surround and the SS-1 installed on my system now. So the next step is to identify the back channels for a 7.1 setup. See my signature for the whole setup.

The first candidate is the two KSB 3.1 speakers with the 8" poly woofer. These back channels be mounted from the ceiling about 9 feet up angled down to the listening area. This speaker would have to be oriented on it's side rather than the normal stand-up orientation to clear the top of the curtains. This will have a negative affect on the directionality of the tweeter horn. The positives are:

+ 94 db sensitivity is a good match with the SS-1 units.

+ Poly woofer is a good match with the rest of the system.

+ 8 inch woofer will give the surround channels some bass

+ front firing ports will allow for closer placement to the back wall.

The second candidate are two SC-1 center channels. This is a closed box design but I would be mounting 2 horizontal center channels (four 5.25" woofers total) on the same plane which I understand is not good. The positives are:

+ 95db sensitivity is a good match with the SS-1 units.

+ Poly woofer is a good match with the rest of the system.

+ Nice slim design would look good in this horizontal position.

+ I already have an SC-1, so I would only have to buy 1 matching speaker.

So help me decide.

Thanks,

Scott

I wouldn't personally use a speaker intended to be a center channel speaker for surround duty. I'd give the nod to KSB 3.1s and in fact if I stumble across a good deal on a pair of 3.1s I want to use them as surround back speakers in my setup.

Gigbyt

I went with the KSB 3.1 speakers too. I picked-up a set on ebay. Can't wait to try them out. Next step is the 7.1 amp with Dolby True HD and DTS master.I am trying to decide between an Marantz 6003, Denon 2310, or an Onkyo 806. My old amp is a Denon 2802, it's really similar to the 2310 in power and specs. Denon's are a bit of a puzzle to set-up and switch various output modes.

Thanks,

Scott