Rediscovering early Dylan - Sundazed mono reissues

Charles Turner

Although this is not new information, maybe someone here will find it useful. If so, it will repay the many favors this board has provided me. I recently bought the set of 10 mono reissues and I have been enjoying them for the past several weekends. I've always been a Dylan fan but found most of his early recordings a bit hard to listen to. I've always enjoyed the lyrics and stories, but his voice is definately an acquired taste.

For years I searched for listenable copies of his early records...most are in pitiful shape...then purchased the Columbia stereo reissues. I listened to them once then they were entered into the database and filed away.

The mono reissues are in a different class. They sound very lifelike with a wide soundstage. And with a quiet pressing, his voice is much more pleasing and the music incredibly enjoyable.

So, if you are like me and have been focused on the 45rpm Bluenote reissues for the past year, do yourself a favor and pick up some of the Dylan monos. They are relatively inexpensive by comparison and in many, many ways, equally enjoyable.