Forte II cabinet interior volume?

CallMeJoe

Greetings to the Klipsch Community! I am a recent convert to the Klipsch sound, having purchased a pair of KG 3.5s and been blown away!

After watching various Heritage systems on eBay, I (foolishly?) purchased a complete set of Forte II components, sans cabinet. This puts me in need of some information. I've searched this forum to the best of my meager abilities without finding the interior dimensions of the Forte II cabinet. If anyone can provide the interior measurements, or the interior volume of the box, it will save me from a "best guess" construction.

FWIW, I have made such a guess from the exterior dimensions on the Forte page, with an extrapolation from the image posted of the height of the integral riser and an assumption of the thickness of the cabinet materials (3/4") and the depth of the front panel inset (1/2"). This gets me to 30.5" * 15" * 10.25" => ~4690 cubic inches. Does anyone have better figures for me?

You've done what I would do. I expect that your total internal volume calculation has to be very, close. I'm going to guess that it is well under 5%.

For the sake of brotherhood in reverse engineering and looking close at specs, I see that the reported dimensions of the Forte and Forte II changed. You can check on the main website for the two; but here is a paste in of what I found in the website specs:

35.4" (89.92cm) x 16.5" (41.91cm) x 12" (30.48cm) -- Forte

35.4" (89.92cm) x 16.5" (41.9cm) x 12.25" (31.1cm) -- Forte II

My guess is that these changes might just reflect more careful measuments or adding the fraction in the spec sheet, rather than a new box size at the plant. But that is speculation on my part.

There is a larger question of how much bass performance will be affected by an error in box size or any similar parameter. We are really looking at the resonant freq of the bass system which is affected by box size and the various parameters of the passive radiator. My guess is that the latter are subject to 5% production variation too.

I'd say you're doing well.

Wm McD

Thanks for the response. I suppose I could run some more scenarios (1/2" panels, different front panel insets, etc.) to see how much variance they generate. I'm having to make a lot of assumptions since I don't have a cabinet available to measure.

I'm also unsure just how sensitive the tuning of the Forte components is to cabinet volume. For one instance, my Altec 411-8As specify a cabinet volume of 4.5 to 8.0 cubic feet. I'm guessing the Passive Radiator-ported Fortes have a slightly narrower range...

Thank you, Gil! That's exactly the information I needed! I appreciate the effort. I may not duplicate the proportions of the Forte cabinet, but I want to match the volume as closely as possible and your information should get me there.

FWIW, by my calculations, that yields an interior volume of 80 liters (rounded to three figures).

To make it perfectly clear. The height measurement is as if the riser (just the four sided frame-like structure) was removed. The bottom of the box is still in place.

Wm McD

Understood completely. If you read my first post, I had extrapolated the height of the cabinet without the integral riser from measurements taken from the picture posted on the Forte II page of the Klipsch site. You confirmed my estimation, albeit in metric rather than the SAE units I employed.

edit: thanks again for taking the trouble to make and post the actual measurements here. I shall be far more confident in my cabinet plans now.