Subwoofer Cable Length??

j-malotky

Is there any limit on the length of the Interconnect between the processor and powered subwoofer?

I am building a home theater in my new home and would like to put the subwoofer in the rear corner. In that location, I will need a 55-foot cable to connect it! Is that too long? Would it be better to move it to a closer corner if I use a powered Sub. For that length, should I use an un-powered subwoofer, placing my amp close to my processor?

I plan to buy a RSW15 and am using a Lexicon MC1 as the processor.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JM

J-malotky,

55' will be fine. Im using 100 feet of cable on a split output going to two subs. I have however measured sound pressure using the same sub at both the short piece of cable and at the longer (100 foot) cable and I do get a 2-3 db diff however I think that has more to do with im not measuring at the same locations in the room, and there are going to be acustical differences. I asked basically the same question on the technical questions page of this board, but I take it that no one answered the thread because they probably agree with my assumption. I would say that signal degradation will happen at some point when using long cableing but It will not happen at 55 feet. Just make sure that you are using high quality sub cable and you should be fine.

------------------

MM

J-malotky,

By the way good choice on the Lexicon MC-1. I use a B&K Ref 30 myself. Sound and Vision did a pretty good review of the Meridian 561, B&K ref 30, and the Lexicon MC-1. The comparison was very close in terms of sound quality. I think however If I did not own the Ref 30 I would have my eyes on the Lexicon MC-12.

------------------

MM

JM,

As long as the interconect is well shielded and does notact like a long antena you are fine.

I use many long sub interconects,by Tributaries,Monster Z Series sub interconects.All are well shielded and the subs are quiet when not in action,when time comes they rip.

Tributaries interconects are great quality and cost way less,compared to Monster sub interconects.

In the end you can use a generic wire as long as shielding is good.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I think sheilding is by fat the most important requirement for ANY cable.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!