Convert (splice?) 10 Gauge Speaker Wire to 14 for In-Wall Volume Control?

fcbarcelona

While remodeling my apartment I ran what I believe is 10 gauge speaker wire from my livingroom to my kitchen. I purchased a Niles volume control which is designed to fit in a standard single-gang box, taking input wires from the receiver in the source room and connecting them with speakers located in the remote room. I have been able to establish that the wire runs are fine (they have full continuity), but the volume control does not accept the thick wires and when I try to use banana clips or other terminations that reduce the thickness, the heavy wire still causes the mounting blocks (snap-in terminals), to pull away from the volume control unit. I am considering creating a splice that converts the 10 gauge to 14 or 16 gauge. By doing so, the greater flexibility of the smaller wire would likely address the terminal disconnect issue and also allow for direct plug into the posts without clips. Will a splice work? Will I experience significant quality/power loss? Any recommendations on how to splice (wire nut? Soder?). Thanks for the help.

The total resistance will be the addition of the resistance of the large and small gauge wires. Wire resistance is a function of linear length and gauge, since the length of small gauge wire in the splice is short the effect on the total resistance will be negligable. If the splice is hidden from view a wire nut will work but I would probably go with butt splices.

For the optimum connection, check out the NEETS wiring module here

Scroll down to page 2-6, where they show the "Western Union" splice. Employ this mode of wire wrapping (but with fewer twists), then solder the wires together and insulate them with heat-shrink tubing. This forms an optimum connection without adding significant bulk to the wires.

FWIW, this splice as illustrated works well for solid wire without using solder.