RF-25 Tweeter

gfields

It appears the tweeter on my RF-25 is not good. I took the speaker apart to make sure it was pugged in correctly as were the woofers and they all looked ok. The tweeter on the right speaker sounds much fuller so I put the speaker cable from the right speaker on the left speaker and the tweeter sounds very marginal (the same as before) . Seems like I could only hear light cymbals and none of the other higher pitched music or vocals. Anyway, in examining the speakers further I pulled out the speaker cable hookup port from the rear of the speaker and it looked ok as well. Question is, there are some electronics on that board and one runs all the way up to the tweeter.

So, the question is, other than testing the bad tweeter in the good speaker is there any way to tell if either the speaker or hookup electronics are bad? Bought these speakers in 2003 so the warranty is long gone.

Gary

CECAA850,

I got out my multimeter and checked the speaker. I crossed the postive and negative (shorted) on the multimeter to get as close to 0 as possible. I know what the ohm sign looks like but no instructions as to which setting to use so I tried three as follows:

Setting Lowest shorted multimeter reading Speaker reading

200 .1 2.8

2K .001 .003

20K 0 0

Well, what do you think? Could it be the crossover?

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Well my order arrived and I installed it in about 10
minutes. Great news!! It was the tweeter!! Can' say if the new one has any different characteristics
but it seems to sound a bit fuller, a little less bright. But I only checked for part of one song. One thing, they come with a fixed heat sink
that looks really cool. The rep told me
there was not any kind of major issues with the tweeters but sure seems like
they were backordered for a while and the replacements address a heat issue.

Gary

If I may comment.

Questions like this come up on the forum on a regular basis. The question is usually whether it is the crossover or the driver.

In all cases I've seen, it is the driver which fails. This makes sense because the driver voice coil is much more fragile than the crossover components.

Wm McD

• 1 month later...

Hello all!! Thanks for such a wonderful forum with an amazing amount of knowledge.

I traded some KG 4's to a set of RF-25, and noticed over the weekend that I have no sound from either tweeter at all. It really has me puzzled, and seeing I have no tech skills I'm not sure what to do. I do find it odd that both have no sound at all. It makes me think it's something other than the speakers. User error probably.

The metal clips are in place in order to complete the channel path. I do not if those are not in place you'll lose sound from the horn if connected to the bottom post. I did remove the brackets, and hooked the speaker up to the top post to see if I could get any sound from the horn that way, and no such luck. Guess it pays to listen to the speakers first before trading or buying. I guess I think people are as honest as I am at times and it gets the best of me.

Any way any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read on here that it's most likely the cross over/drivers? i have contacted klipsch about getting replacements, an the cost, but I also read those are on major back order. Thank everyone for reading!!

Ok, here goes. One of my tweeters went bad and I did know it til my cat went in the rear of the speaker and pulled down all the wires. I had to take the speaker apart to hook of the wires and when I listed to the tweeter it only hissed a bit. I swapped out cables still nothing. I e-mailed Klipshe and they suggested I pull the tweeter and wire a 9 volt battery to it and if it made no noise the tweeter was bad. Well the tweeters are dirt cheap and guess what--the new tweeters have heat sinks on them. When I asked why the Klipsch rep explained some people played the speakers really loud and the tweeters burned or blew out I guess. Well I crank mine up til the clock fell off the wall so I ordered two tweeters----problem solved!

It could be the prior owner could not tell the tweeter was bad because I sure couldn't til I replaced them. What a difference. The new tweeter sounds righer and less bright too. I would suggest you just make sure the wires are all hooked up and if they are then order new tweeters. I asked if this was a known problem and the rep told me no. But it is interesting the speakers were backordered for a few weeks. Anyway-my two cents. Oh, seems like the tweeters are around $25. each.

Gary

Anything I need to know about changing out the tweeters? I just ordered two, and looking forward to getting these back to life. The woofers sound great, but it's very muddy without those highs. When taking the cover off I noticed the tweeter also had the large piece of plastic around it. Does that come off? If so how? I didn't seem to notice a way to take it off. How about pulling the wires off the tweeter? Gently pull them off with fingers, or some pliers? I've never switched speakers out before so I just want to make sure, because I don't want to do more damage than what I started with.

It's been a while but if I remember right you take off the grill covers, remove the screws, take off the lower and upper parts of the speaker and I think the tweeter is screwed into the upper piece from the back. The tweeter wires only go on one way and since you are replacing the tweeters you really don't have to worry about damage. Also, the tweeter wires each have different connectors so you can't hook them up wrong. Just grab some pliers if you have trouble. Don't stress, it's really eazy once you get started.

Gary