Question for dual RSW+SVS sub owners

Rudy81

I recently acquired an RSW-15. I previously owned the SVS 20-39pc+. I have been experimenting with both for a few days now. I am curious as to how many of you use BOTH subs at the same time. What are your impressions on music and HT use? How do you have them setup?

Just curious as to what most have done with dissimilar subs like these.

For quite a while I was running two RSW-15's stacked along with the two SVS subs in my signature. I thought they worked very well together. The RSW's being very musical and the SVS's for buckling the floor and pressurizing the room.

I crossed the SVS's over real low and the RSW's at 100hz. I wish I had them back but the 15" Velodynes that are now in their place are doing very well......just not as clean as the RSW's.......works well for music though IMO. [Y]

Are you leaning towards using both?

I am leaning to at least trying the idea. How did you handle the crossover. I figure that using them both say from 40Hz down will not work well since they are not the same sub. The best idea would be to use an active crossover or something. How exactly did you cross them over?

I am leaning to at least trying the idea. How did you handle the crossover. I figure that using them both say from 40Hz down will not work well since they are not the same sub. The best idea would be to use an active crossover or something. How exactly did you cross them over?

When I had a Denon receiver with bass management I would disable the x-over on the subs and set the receiver's x-over to 40hz for movies and 60-80hz for music. It seemed to me that however you decide to set your crossover settings the SVS's are gonna play deeper no matter what.

As time went by I got less involved with HT and now am strictly a two-channel guy. Now, for music playback I cross my subs over at 120hz!!! I never thought I'd do this but the fact is.....at least in my room.....crossing them over higher allows them to play much more detailed and accurate vs. down at say 60hz. They will sound boomy at first but it's just a matter of controlling the gain. Someone on this forum (might have been Dr. Who?) said boomy is good just turn down the gain!!! I found this to be true.

Does your SVS sub have the option to block the port holes?

Mine have this option and the PB-12 Ultra/2 when tuning the box to 16hz and setting the crossover to 40hz for movies..........LOOK OUT MAN......It could pressurize the room like you wouldn't believe!! [:o]

I just got back from work and had been doing some thinking while I was out...yes, dangerous, I know. Anyway a few things came to mind. First, I had not compared the subs with a movie after having placed them in the corners. The corners turned out to be the best based on my REW program. So, I compared them again with Top Gun and found the RSW-15 much more powerful than when it was in the middle of the room. The SVS still has a little more Oomph, but the RSW is starting to hold its own. I plan on getting the Matrix in BD to compare another good LF movie. Perhaps U-571 as well.

My SVS does have port blocks. One thing I found when running REW tests with one port blocked is that it does go down to 16Hz, but it also lowers the output at the higher frequencies. Not a lot, but it does lower the performance at higher frequencies.

For the time being, until I can live with them for a while I will keep them both and keep comparing. I have a remote control RCA switch coming in this week. This will make it easier to compare the subs quickly.

On another note, using both subs at the same time is going to create all sorts of problems....I am guessing. Since they perform differently at different frequecies it will be next to impossible to get a relatively flat response. The only way, from my research, to do it properly is with two identical subs or with an external crossover that will only play one sub at a time in an optimum manner.

using both subs at the same time is going to create all sorts of problems....I am guessing

True....to some degree. Experimenting with different locations is the only way to find out what will work in your particular room. The reward is increased headroom, output and even coverage. This is coming from someone that does everything by ear and a lot of experimenting. The tools I've used in the past have never really worked for me because I always end up tweaking it to what sounds best TO MY EARS. YMMV. [:D]

with one port blocked is that it does go down to 16Hz, but it also lowers the output at the higher frequencies

Yes.......that's what I did. Run your SVS with one port blocked tuned at 16hz with the crossover at 40hz for the deep stuff and run the RSW-15 crossed over at about 80-100hz for the mid-upper bass. It worked for me......very well in fact. If your able to fit them in the same spot it would be beneficial, most likely.

BTW, my RSW's worked best in a corner as well.

Yes.......that's what I did. Run your SVS with one port blocked tuned at 16hz with the crossover at 40hz for the deep stuff and run the RSW-15 crossed over at about 80-100hz for the mid-upper bass. It worked for me......very well in fact. If your able to fit them in the same spot it would be beneficial, most likely.

BTW, my RSW's worked best in a corner as well.

I have thought of doing just that. I wish the SVS could be crossed over at 30Hz vs. 40Hz. I would rather have the RSW handling everything down to 30Hz where it excels and then have the SVS pick up from there. Unfortunately, the lowest crossover setting on my SVS is 40, as I assume yours was. The question is, how do you prevent the RSW from running below 40Hz?

The question is, how do you prevent the RSW from running below 40Hz?

In a perfect world, right? [;)]

IMO a lot of this stuff with subwoofers we can't pick up with our ears anyway.....and as far as audio goes it seems that it's all about compromise. You gain something here....you lose something there.

I noticed that the SVS tuned real deep is like a sleeping giant. It just hums along casually until something deep hits and then well.....it can freak you out. So, the majority of the time I don't know that it really conflicts with the higher tuned RSW. The experts here I'm sure could go into better detail. I can only offer the extensive experiences of my own listening room.

You've got two kick butt subs there. Getting them to work together will impress....no doubt. [Y]

The nice thing is I can try all sort of different combinations and see how it plays out. Perhaps this week I will hook them both up, crossing the RSW off the Khorns at 50Hz, and the SVS as low as I can go. I can then run some REW plots to see just what that gets me. I suspect that both subs running below 40Hz will cause a big boost between 40 and 25Hz as compared to above and below that 'redundant' frequency.

No big deal if it doesn't work, I can keep them as a separate operation depending on source material. I am learning to anjoy both subs and appreciate each one's strengths.

I am learning to anjoy both subs and appreciate each one's strengths.

Exactly. Whether you use them together or seperately....chances are you'll end up with what satisfies your tastes in music and movies. To me, movies were EASY to dial in. Music.....of different types.....is a real challenge. I've tried it both ways repeatedly and always go back to using a sub...or subs.

Right now I'm running four subs of which two of them are identical subs (Velodynes). So I have three different characteristics to get my desired flavor.

SVS PB-12 Ultra/2= Deep, deep bass. Serious balls. Box tuned to 16hz. Crossover at 120hz.

SVS PB-12 Plus/2= Punchy, more musical bass. Box tuned to 20hz. Crossover at 120hz.

Velodyne CHT-15's stacked= I don't know. 15" woofers.....bigger bass....more mid-bass than the SVS's. They save the day for less than perfect rock recordings. Not as clean but they just work very well for my music.

All the gains are barely at 1. Headroom galore. Plenty of muscle.....but not showing off. [;)]

You could add something like the Behringer DCX-2496 to your system and use it to perform crossover functions for your subs, as well as set delay and phase. You can combine a low pass filter plus a PEQ to get as steep a filter as you desire. It has a multitude of abilities as well as a decent price for a 3 in, 6 out processor.

REW is nice for checking what the electrical portion of the signal through a device like the DCX, etc looks like before even connecting it to a sub.

You could add something like the Behringer DCX-2496 to your system and use it to perform crossover functions for your subs, as well as set delay and phase. You can combine a low pass filter plus a PEQ to get as steep a filter as you desire. It has a multitude of abilities as well as a decent price for a 3 in, 6 out processor.

REW is nice for checking what the electrical portion of the signal through a device like the DCX, etc looks like before even connecting it to a sub.

I think this is the only good way to combine both subs without having all sorts of frequency problems in overlap areas.

• 2 weeks later...

I just stacked all my subs in the corner literally all the way to the ceiling.....with about six inches to spare. Having all of them in a corner the output is staggering. [Y]

So there you go Rudy.....just buy a half dozen big a$$ subs and stick em in the corner. [:o]