Microphones - MXL4000 vs Oktava

artto

Has anyone had experience with the MXL4000 mic? I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews. It "seems" like a great mic for the money.

I record a local chorale live-in-concert two or three times a year. This always includes a grand piano, sometimes a large organ, and to a lesser degree, brass, strings, percussion or wind instruments occassionally as an accompanying ensemble. Currently I've been using Oktava MC-012 (now called MK-012). These work pretty well but I have only one omni capsule (four mics). After using a matched pair of Neumann KM83 omni a couple years ago (loaned) I have got that sound "in-my-head". Nice sound but I can't justify the price for this occassional project. My thinking is much of "the sound" from that experience was due to using omni vs cardiod (all four Oktava have cardiod capsules) as opposed to Neumann vs Oktava (the designs are very similar).

Since purchasing the Oktava years ago, the prices have soared. I guess I'm wondering if I'm better off buying additional matched pairs of omni capsules for my MC-012, or buying a new pair of MXL4000, or possibly, a new pair of large diaphram or ribbon Oktava. I'm pretty sure I want to stick with a spaced stereo omni pair for this recording situation. All alternative comments are welcome!!!