Speaker wiring question

jakeklipsch

I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to this stuff, so please bear with me.

I have some F-1s for my front speakers and a C-3 for my center speaker. I noticed on the back of the speakers where you put the wire in there are two sets of red/black connectors. I've heard something about bi-amping and I didn't know what that was exactly, but I'm not planning on doing that I don't think. If I just hook up one set of connectors, which pair of red/black connectors on the speakers do I hook into?

Also, if you are not using banana plugs, can you just stick the exposed speaker wire into the connector hole and tie it down, or is there a better way to do that?

Thanks again.

• Moderators

It really doesn't matter which pair you choose since they are both connected with a metal jumper that connects the two pairs. If you do not use banana plugs, you would unscrew the binding post and it will have a hole that you place the bare wire in and then tighten down the binding post. You can see the hole in the one shown below.

As far as bi-amping your speakers, don't bother with it. I tried it with my Yamaha and noticed no difference at all. Only way to truly benefit from using both terminals is to bypass the internal crossover and use an external active crossover.

5WAYBPSTGLD1.jpg

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but since you said you're a "noob" I'm assuming that you're innocent about speaker phasing. Basically, from your amp you have to connect positive to postivie and negative to negative on ALL your speakers. This in order to avoid out-of-phase problems where one speaker cone will be moving inward while the other is moving outward, which will ruin your imaging and torpedo your bass. Generally the red terminals are positive and the black terminals are negative. But experiment, first in two-channel mode, and choose the settings where the bass is stronger and the center image is solid. Don't worry, if it's wrong you'll definitely hear the difference. And then accord the center channel correspondingly. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks for your comments. I have hooked up a system with speaker wire before but I hadn't ever seen two sets of red and black connectors on the back of a speaker before, like I saw with the F-1 and C-3. I guess in my last comment there I was wondering if I needed to have that metal bracket connecting the two pairs of red and black together that comes with those speakers or if that wasn't necessary.

But yes I'm definitely a "noob" still when it comes to this but want to learn more!