Heard LaScalas again today, has been many years

TBrennan

I went to my buddy Kurt Chang's house today and we listened to the 3 hi-fis set-up in his basement. #1 is JBL 3115s run by Monarch class A amps. #2 is a B&G ribbon rig, monopolar, run by a DIY TriPath. #3 is the LaScalas Kurt recently bought run by a Audionote 300B SET. This was the first time I'd heard LSs in about, oh, 20 years, since I sold the second pair I'd owned and went to using Altecs. I've owned and heard Cornwalls much more recently but it's been a long time since LSs. Hearing the LSs brought on an immediate frisson, the sound was instantly identifiable and brought back memories of my LSs. But the more I listened the less I liked them; midrange was "spitty" and somewhat harsh and the bass was very lacking resulting in a poor tonal balance. On turning 180 degrees and listening to the JBLs (15 in a vented box, CD horn driven by a 8" cone configured as a compression driver for mids and a 1" compression driver tweeter) the music was much more enjoyable; a much better bass foundation, cleaner mids and better highs. We pretty much forgot about the LSs and spent several hours listening to the JBLs and B&Gs (and discussing history and politics). Later we listened to the LSs again and discussed their problems. I suggested Kurt use his pair of JBL 4648 bassbins with the LSs, that perhaps providing a better foundation and better overall tonal balance would ameliorate the midrange problems and help the highs by giving the highs a better "background" to contrast with. Kurt thought that might do some good, he has pretty much dismissed the LSs but might give the bass augmentation a try. Well he got a good deal on the LSs anyway, they are recent models in like-new condition and he only paid $600. By the way, the B&Gs sounded pretty good; tonally very much like the JBLs but not as dynamic, excellent clarity. Interesting day.

This message has been edited by TBrennan on 03-09-2002 at 11:46 PM

I think this is the guy who has scored a lot og really good stuff from the JBL Pro Tent Sale for NOTHING (as in money) I know someone who may sell me a pair of 1977 LaScala's for cheap! Hope it happens, though I have not a worthy amp.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

quote:

Originally posted by TBrennan:

But the more I listened the less I liked them; midrange was "spitty" and somewhat harsh and the bass was very lacking resulting in a poor tonal balance.

I've always loved the La Scala horns - at 104 db w/m they are perfect for my little SET. First thing to do is "ALK" them... the supplied crossover is nothing to write home about. This upgrade, which is easy to install, seems to be the biggest bang for the buck on those speakers. Details are discussed elsewhere on the BBS... here is the URL though:

http://www.alkeng.com/klipsch.html

Happy Listening...

------------------

AMC CD8b CD Player

MSB Link III 24/96

Zen Triode Amp SE84C

Klipsch Reference RP3

MIT Terminator 2

RWA Power cord

Vans Evers Conditioners

Tom-

I've found that both the Klipschorns and LaScalas require a lot of attention to room acoustics and acoustical treatment - absorption and diffusion material as well as , in the case of the LaScalas, placement. Of course they are very sensitive to source material (the harshness of some CDs and transistor amps). I have found that the combination of good DAC and tube preamp with a good solid state amp (for solid bass "punch") produces the best results. As you know the LaScalas definately benefit from good subs (I've used LF-10s to good effect). I have the JBL 4638 bass units (2) coming and they should work well with the LaScalas, I think.

As you might remember, I got some old Altec 511B horns which I have experimented with, using the K55V drivers with an adopter. They require a lot of damping. I found giant baggies filled with play sand draped over the top and as a base support works well) they are an improvement' producing a smoother clearer more widely dispersed midrange.

I would love to find a way to raise the crossover frequency of the bass bin to 500cps which would allow me to experiment with other drivers. Never-the-less the difference is not so dramatic as to cause me to make this a priority. I find the midrange quite good for most recordings with dampened K400 horns (after a lot of experimentation with room treatment and provided the tubes are in good condition!). Anyway, I'm waiting to hearing your set-up and discussing this more with you in Lima before I make permanent the 511B set-up (will have to construct some sort of top enclosure for the 511B and the sandbags}.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

This message has been edited by soundog on 03-13-2002 at 07:53 AM

SoundDog---Well I'm not bringing my big VOT rig, just basically my Altec 605s, a CD player and a Fisher SA-100 amp. However we're bringing a variety of horns and compression drivers that we'll play with using Bean Counters JBL bassbins as the bass section, also bringing an active crossover so we can easily change crossover points and balance the drivers. I maintain that the problems of the LaScala are twofold. First the narrow dispersion of the mid horn which you have ameliorated with your 511s and which I improved with EV SM-120As. The second problem is the bass shyness, this makes the forward midrange standout even more and fails to provide a "dark" contrast for the tweeters, the tweeters being somewhat lost in the mid-forwardness. This problem should be solved by the use of GOOD subs. Judging by my experience matching a pair of 4648s to my horn-loaded VOTs I think the 4638s will work very well with your LaScalas. I think you're approaching the LaScala problems the right way (seeing as it's the same way I would it must be right, right? :-) I look forward to seeing you in Lima.

The 4638s arived last night and I hooked one of them up to the parts express remote controled (very handy for playing wiht crossover points and for adjusting volume} plate amp.

Holy sh..!!!!! My wife came home and said "Ae you crazy? Turn it down it's shaking the whole house!" (a very solidly built pre WWII CH colonial)!!! It was cranked slightly but it is very very powerful. Jurasic Park III was a real tour-de-force. Decided not to hook up the second one in the living room but rather put it in the basement with the all Heritage HT (have to lure an unsuspecting friend to my house to carry these 140 plus pound monaliths to the basement). Don't want to knock the RS-3s off the walls.

Playing at a reduced volume along side the LaScalas

they really sing. Very nice, very musical sound. And, Tom you're right, the midrange now sounds better than ever! It is a matter of balance.

This is sure a lot of fun. A block and a half long tractor trailer pulled up in front of my house as a few wide eyed neighbors walked by as I was strugling with the delivery man to unload them from the trunk. Can only imagine what they were thinking. I'm sure sooner or latter they will make some sort of comment, probably after talking to my wife. Looking forward to Lima.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems