djk question

John Warren

djk-

I've measured the Fs on two, freshly unwrapped, 2226Hs and there coming in at 58 and 62Hz, well above the 40Hz published. From what I can tell, they're factory fresh and were ship direct to me from Northridge. Nothing on the box tells me these are "specials" or "custom" manufactured. This is the first time I've ever measured 2226Hs. Room temp is a bit chilly at ~60F.

The test is simple sinusodial sweep using CLIO internal impedance. I also measured on a constant current rig and the results were the same.

If you can comment, have you ever seen a discrepency this large in Fs on JBL woofers prior to any type of "excersize" period?

TIA,

jw

Go ahead and measure the drivers.

Take the Fs and divide by the Qts, and compare with the published specs.

Now take the square of the Qts times the Vas and compare with the published specs.

I would guess that the results will be within 10% or so.

If they're more than 20% out I would ask JBL to take them back and examine them, there is a problem.

Using the two products as described allows you to see what the driver is (not just soft part variations), or if the mass or motor strength is different.